Skip to content

Discuss This At what point do you consider a bike to have too high mileage on the clock? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > At what point do you consider a bike to have too high mileage on the clock?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

At what point do you consider a bike to have too high mileage on the clock?

We've all done some tyre-kicking in our time - a wander around the local dealers just to see what's there. Sometimes, though something will invariably catch you eye, and you'll have to take a closer look. But - is there a number on the clocks that'll make you back off right away? What's too many miles on the clock?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (30 January 2013 09:21)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mercymercyred

Jan 10

average mileage?

If I were buying a bike (my last 3 have been brand or almost new 400 on the clock). I would not choose a bike just because its got low miles on it. Like a few other savvy people have said there are a lot of other variables to consider, although I probably would not go for a real high high mileage bike. I am a high mileage rider and do about 20,000 per year as I believe bikes are to be ridden and not garage ornaments. The modern bike engine is more than capable of going on practically for ever just keep up the service schedules and look after the bike and get out and ride.

Reply to this Topic
Mr. Luck

Jan 08

Mr. Luck says:

depends on the bike

sold an FZ1 with 25k because it was feeling a bit loose, now got a GS with 50k on it and it's going strong.....depends on how much faith you have in a bike i think.....

Reply to this Topic
etennant

Aug 02

etennant says:

Depends on the bike !!

My R45 has just passed 300,000 miles.   Just been fitted with its 7th timing chain, a regular 50,000 mile job.   The bike is good for another 100,000 miles.   That's enough miles for someone buying a brand new bike.

So as others have said, it depends on the bike, depends on how it's been looked after, and depends on what you want do do with it.

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Interesting

got 30k on the R1100S at the mo and can't decide if I need to chop it in... Only thing holding me back is cheap insurance and can't find anything I fancy....

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

To have one bike that you have covered hundreds of thousands of miles on, is brilliant and easily achievable given the correct maintenence and careful use. However I always think that you are somehow missing out on so many other bikes and the joys that they bring...As my dear old gran used to say...."Variety is the spice of life".

Reply to this Topic
etennant

Aug 02

etennant says:

Depends on the bike !!

True, if you can afford to change your bike relatively frequently.   Trouble is, I don't think most modern bikes could survive the winter use (bike gets washed regularly - twice a year), and you wouldn't want to take them out on icy/snowy roads.   Now that gets me onto the subject of studded tyres....   

BTW I also have an R1100GS, and a 1971 Honda SL350.     Hardly ever use the GS for the above reasons.

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

I can't believe that almost 10% of people think a bike with 10-25K has too high a mileage! Perhaps if it's some Chinese bike I suppose. My Bandit's got 15K and only now has the motor begun to free up and begin producing seriously good power! I think she'll be able to do at least 100K provided I keep the servicing up. My GPZ900R had over 80K when I sold it, and it was running fine.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Brand new

Bought an ER6n brand new last year, it's now got nearly 12k on the clock so by the standards of 10% of replies I should be chopping it in soon? Really? Even though my 'regular washing and chain lubing' is more monthly than weekly the original chain and sprockets still have plenty of life left in them, I'm still on the original front tyre (3rd rear only due to two punctures) and handles the cold weather just fine. Sure modern bikes are a bit more difficult to service yourself than say a 1960's BSA but the only reason I've been keeping up the service with the dealer is to keep with the warranty. There isn't much I couldn't do service-wise (with the help of my more knowledgeable mates).

Still I fully intend to keep running this bike forever, judging by the '10%' who answered this survey my bike is worth nowt already so rather than sell it'll probably become a backup bike or winter hack when I can afford another one. Might even give it the cafe racer treatment? Hmm, now that's got me thinking...

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

I wouldn't buy..........

..........anybody else's used bike. There are too many idiots about screwing the backside off them.

Reply to this Topic
xvash750

Jun 12

xvash750 says:

It's never too high

Providing everything seems ok on a test ride, I'd be happy with something well over 50k on the clocks (Pan 11's spring to mind). Obviously there's always going to be age related issues, but that's just part of the fun =]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices