Skip to content

Discuss This At what point do you consider a bike to have too high mileage on the clock? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > At what point do you consider a bike to have too high mileage on the clock?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

At what point do you consider a bike to have too high mileage on the clock?

We've all done some tyre-kicking in our time - a wander around the local dealers just to see what's there. Sometimes, though something will invariably catch you eye, and you'll have to take a closer look. But - is there a number on the clocks that'll make you back off right away? What's too many miles on the clock?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (30 January 2013 09:21)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Gankmasterflex

Feb 13

What's the point

In having a bike if 10% of people think they don't want to ride it for fear of putting miles on it. That is ridiculous they didn't build bikes to have them sit in the garage for 11 months a year for the odd chance of a sunny day so man up and put the miles in...

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Too low...

If I was looking at an old bike with low mileage I would be concerned that it was overpriced and likely to fall apart as soon as I was about to use it. There is a sweet spot where a bike does enough miles to keep exhausts, fuel tanks, cylinder bores etc in good condition on the inside but not too much... Simmarly plastic breaks according to age...

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Mad prices...

I was offered £1500 trade in for my ER6F 18 months old with 36K more than once. It was even covered by manufacturers warrantee and had two good tyres In the end I got approx £3K against another new Kawasaki and it was sold for £2200 by a second dealer after the first dealer went bust.

The Kawasaki courtesy bike was a ER6N with 46K and 3 year old. It was in great condition and went well but the dealer decided they might as well run it as a courtesy bike because they wouldn't be able to sell it for a sensible price and they needed a coutesy bike...

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

it's sad

Gankmasterflex makes a good point. I look at the voting and its clear that many bikers now consider a motorcycle to be a trinket to be polished and cosseted and not a machine to be ridden much further than the nearest Starbucks. Sad!

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

High mileage? Myself, I buy bikes to keep, to maintain, to look after, to personalise, to get to know, to learn both our weaknesses together. Mileage is entirely academic, it's the care a bike gets that keeps it alive. I don't subscribe to the disposable society we live in. My oldest bike was built in 1951 and is still going strong. Will I sell it? If I really couldn't ride any more, perhaps. All the time there's room in the garage and I can go to look at it, it will remain part of my life. I love all my bikes, they don't desert me in dire times.

Every time I hear Ventura Highway, I  think of the mates and bikes who are'nt around any more and it wakes me up to myself. Try it, hippy types!   

Hazardo Bastardo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Ah fukkit, I'm on a roll. I live with bikes, they're a huge part of my life. They've cost me a kneecap, a marriage, 37 mates, scars, pain, money, but some of the best and enduring memories I could ever wish for. Miles are memories - they leave marks, they leave dents, they leave wear and tear, but I would never turn a bike down because the mileage "is too high". Too high for what - resale? I'm not a collector or speculator. I love my bikes and all they bring to my life. High mileage? It means the bike has lived, be it good or bad. Just like me.

End of. 

Reply to this Topic
occytherp

Jul 05

occytherp says:

depends what you call high

Any bike deal I have done has always involved the mileage of the bike at some point,sports bikes are considered to cover less miles than tourers etc. Bikes in the Bike of the Day section are generally low mileage examples given the year, so it may well be a consideration. Personally, the service record and seller means more to me,rather have a well travelled and serviced machine, than one that has been laid up months on end. I drove an 10 year old Merc van once with nearly 300,000 miles on the clock, now that is high mileage, it was as sweet as a nut!

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

It depends

If the bike has been properly serviced and cherished then the mileage would be less of an issue than one that had been thrashed and not looked after....stupid question. I suggest your editorial staff have some neuro linguistic meta questioning training. ;-)

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

It all depends on a lot of  things , condition , how many owners ? , value , engine size , any  history ? , know the seller etc. .  I find most large jap bikes will do silly mileages , even if  the bike was under -serviced , and some european bikes don"t match -up . After my last three B.M.W. s I swore [literally]  that I will never own another . I  won"t  go into my experiences with  Ducati"s , Morini"s , Urals , Harleys  and a few  Brit. bikes . But I suppose we all buy a lemon  at some point  . As with some cars I have owned  some really cheap bangers have proved real gems . A  1961 B.S.A. Goldflash bought in 1973 for  £ 137  ,off a local dealer ,proved the most reliable second hand  bike  , owned many years , only broke down twice , sold  a couple of years ago for nearly  £ 6,000  . The Ural outfit broke down every  week  , and engine blew -up  after  4 months from new ! . If possible buy off someone you know and treated the bike with loving care .

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

billysollocks

that was epic, pure class.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle