Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: The cost of servicing General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: The cost of servicing

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: The cost of servicing

"The cost of servicing my bike (2009 Ducati 848) isn't horrendous, but it is significant, as it was for the CBR600RR I had before it. The parts aren't too expensive, it's the main dealer labour rates that ramp it up – and I'm not arguing with their need to charge those rates, but I'm sorely tempted to do some of...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (30 January 2013 09:45)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Servicing

That will depend on the complexity of your bike and your own personal skills.  Do whatever maintenance you feel is within your capabilities.    

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

servicing

As Marcus said, it depends on your own competence. If you don't know one end of a spanner from another, then why not do a Home Maintenence course?

It's very satisfying doing your own work, and you'll also know for sure if the work has been done or not (I know of one MAIN DEALER in Norwich who I wouldn't trust to service my toaster)

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Oil Change

Here in the US, an oil change for a motorcycle or scooter is nearly $100 at a dealer, or about the same as a HGV that takes 20L of oil. Meanwhile, getting the oil changed in a cage is $20-25.

Reply to this Topic
Lukaz2205

Jul 05

Lukaz2205 says:

if you do...

Make sure you invest in some good quality tools. If you can afford snap on/Bluepoint then do it, but Halfords Professional 150-170 pce kits will have pretty much everything you'll need to do 95% of the jobs. As with riding, Motorcycle mechanics is a subject that your always constantly learning, I've been qualified since 2007 and I learn new stuff everytime I work on a bike. Start at your own pace, do simple things first, plugs oil and filters are probablý the most easiest jobs on a bike to do imo. But rather than jumping in doing those straight away learn what to look for,and hints and tips from owners of the same bike, 99% of the time they are transferable to any bike... E.g extendy magnet to pull out the spark plugs if your HT leads don't grip it well. Planning is the key with it, keep a white sheet or something that's knackered and lay it out in order of removal and reverse it to put it back. Its a simple task that most people pay a premium for, but as with most things its something that anybody can do.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Let's Face It.....

....if you have a new bike you'll want those dealer stamps in the service book and it may be a condition of the warranty too. For an old bike it's not so important.

Basic maintenance should be something all riders can do for themselves, if they wish. By basic I mean oil and filter changes, chain lubrication and adjustment and that kind of thing. As for hourly rates: at my local dealer they're only half the rate charged by the local BMW car dealer so the occasional visit to the workshop for more invasive surgery is not too painful on the wallet.

One other consideration: If the hourly rate paid to me for my job is more than I pay the motorcycle dealer to service my bike I'm better off letting him do the work.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Ah, servicing! The killer twist in owning a Triumph. When I bought my new Tiger 800 last year, I was offered the 'bargain price' of £1000 to cover my first 4 years servicing! Paid up front! I've just had the 6000 service done which was £215 and for what they do, I could have done for less than a quarter of that. A major service is £500-600 depending on what wants doing ( and I'm sure they will find something). I only let them do it for the stamp in the book just in case. That doesn't include tyres. When I get to the 12000 mile major service, I will be doing everything I can myself as I've been in engineering all my life and fortunately, I can itemise for my dealer what I am unable to do myself which requires special equipment like doing the downloads and tools and shims for the tappets. 2 years ago, just doing the download, checking shims (which were fine, no adjustment needed) and a new air filter (they may as well whilst they have the tank off) cost £240 for my Sprint ST 1050. I think a good article for MCN would be a service comparison for all the popular makes. It just might help when you pick your next bike

Reply to this Topic
bud

Aug 02

bud says:

Depends on the complexity of the bike, whether it was bought on dealer finance, how long you plan to keep it etc.. even  on new bikes the basics are just the same as a 20 year old. On me tiger 955i, I've done everything needed including shim adjustment, throttle body balancing etc, you can even tune the ecu yourself if you're that anal. Nothing much apparently goes wrong with modern kit so it's just a case of keeping on top of the basics, everything else is as and when. I've never taken a bike to a garage for servicing and never had any major break-downs or other mechanical tantrums as a consequence. I don't spend every weekend fettling in my garage either ;0)

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

this is a major thorn in my side

And something the big manufacters need to sit up and take notice off.

For 20 years+ i have used a local independant "spanner" Man (D&R motorcycles, of Hereford, HIGHLY recommend). Good Bloke, does a top job and doesn't rip you off.

The problem is that with the advent of more and more electronics on motorbikes, the big manufactors are not releasing the software to the indepentant  sector , which won't allow them to do the work! This creates a monopoly and allows them to then charge huge prices for servicing!

i Do believe this is illegal, on a moral level if nothing more.but as yet hasn't been challenged. But to my mind a £350 charge for what amounts to little more than an oil and filter charge is obscene( TAKE NOTE BMW , this is why i didn't buy a S1000rr) and with that tied into the Warranty then (take note again BMW) you will lose sales.

I did eventually buy a new Daytona, and as yet haven't tested how Triumph are with their charges, but as soon as the waranty is up, then my Little trumpet will be going back to D&R. i say if you know what you are doing then go for it, but beware of the digital revolution thats happening with bikes at the moment, cause all of this traction this, sky hook that isn't going to be easy to work on.

Someone needs to challenge the manufactors before it gets out of hand, anyone fancy having a go?

Reply to this Topic
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

diablere

Not sure what your beef is with BMW but i think you'll find they are no different to other manufacturers, so if you bought a different supersport litre bike you're no better off than if you got the S1000RR,  i have had Triumphs for 11 years now and believe me the servicing is no cheaper than BMW or the others and in a few cases has been more than my friends similar service. 

Horses for courses, both of my bikes are out of Warranty period now so i use PDQ Motorcycle developments in Taplow, fabulous people, superb service and a team you can trust. 

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

No particular Beef with BMW

just it was the charges on the service (that a friend had done on his s1000rr) that persuaded me BMW wasn't the bike for me. I'm fully aware that Ducati, Triumph and all the rest are just as bad>

My point is about not making the software available to independants, therefore not allowing choice.i feel this is an important issue we need to examine before Electronics Totally rule the biking world, when a degree in computer engineering  will be needed before you can service your own bike.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices