Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: The cost of servicing General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: The cost of servicing

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: The cost of servicing

"The cost of servicing my bike (2009 Ducati 848) isn't horrendous, but it is significant, as it was for the CBR600RR I had before it. The parts aren't too expensive, it's the main dealer labour rates that ramp it up – and I'm not arguing with their need to charge those rates, but I'm sorely tempted to do some of...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (30 January 2013 09:45)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Wait, wait, wait

You can take your bike to a garage to have it worked on, you say?

What, men as well?

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

Servicing

If you want a job done properly do it yourself, I've seen shocking examples of negligence by so called professionals at expensive main dealers over the years.

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

diablre

It could be different in the UK, but in the USA, it is required by law for all vehicle manufacturers to make available for purchase any and all tools for servicing a road going vehicle, no matter how proprietary.  These tools, wether mechanical or software oriented, do have a price tag associated with it.  Some of it pretty cost prohibitive, not just for the owner of the vehicle but even the independent shop.  If a shop knows he may only see a certain vehicle twice a year, will they purchase a 5000 quid piece of diagnostic software?  Likely not.  But it is available to them.  This is when you go to a dealer. 

Most manufacturer oriented dealerships that service high tech vehicles will have regional headquarters where specialty tools and diagnostic equipment are kept and then shared with multiple dealerships as needed.  So even a true dealership has a difficult time justifying the purchase of these items.  But you need to have them.  So BMW NA, for instance, takes care of making sure this stuff gets into their technician's hands when needed.  I mention BMW because I actually had this explained to me when I needed so warranty work done.  But I've also seen this at Aprilia, Moto Guzzi and Ducati dealers.  It's just impossible to afford all the specialty stuff to work on a bike from the ground up.

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Domster

You are indeed spot on.  I spend some weekends fixing what the dealer techs have done for my friends.  They say they did this and that but did a crap job, took shortcuts or didn't do some things thinking no one would notice.  You find stripped hardware, wrong hardware, improper adjustments, scratches, dings...  They tend to think that all bikes are alike and can be fixed to the same torque specs and adjustment ranges.  Most don't even use a torque wrench, hence the stripped threads.

I buy bikes based on it's abilty to be worked on at my house from the ground up, cost of parts likely to need replacing and cost of service should it be something special I can't justify the cost of doing myself.  As such I've invested a lot in tools and equipment over the years.  But I get to make sure it's all done right, with care and I get to see all kinds of stuff along the way of getting ot done that a shop mechanic would disregard or not give a shit about.  So, no I do not own a Multistrada S, Panigale, S1000RR or K1600 tourer.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

blooming puff, do it yourself, 10 minutes on youtube/forums and you're an expert

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

eatcs01

who a you referring to? ball?

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Didn't mention before but when picking my new Tiger up from my dealer, when I got home and checked it myself, the oil wasn't even in the level window and tyre pressures were 5psi too low in both tyres. After the 600 mile service, the oil was overfilled  (level window filled completely) and the back wheel was out of alignment. Good job I checked these things myself. 6k service was OK, credit where its due. Hope Haynes bring out a manual in the not-too-distant future.

Reply to this Topic
prdh

Jun 11

prdh says:

One step at a time...

Start by doing the basics and work your way up, I assume you already check and tighten your chain, oil and filter is not much harder (depending on the bike) once you do your research and have the fairings off (if needed). Air filter can be a bit of a faf especially if you have to move the tank out of the way but are generally fairly easy. Brakes are also fairly straight forward but you need to take extra care to do it right as you tend to need these. Find yourself an illustrated service manual and take your time and make sure you have all the tools and parts you need. DON'T do it if you need the bike in two hours as you will end up rushing, it might sound obvious but is easy to loose track of time. If at any time you feel unsure or uncomfortable stop, leave it or put it back together and come back at another time with a mate with experience, we all need a little help now and again. And finally enjoy yourself you can get just as much enjoyment out of servicing your bike as you can riding it, but if you don’t enjoy it leave it for the dealers as you might end up resenting your bike for having to do the work.

Reply to this Topic
TTdaft

Jan 13

TTdaft says:

do it all myself.......last time I used a dealer the bastrd didn't tightn the rear wheel nut......

electronics on bikes WILL be a nightmare, they will stop anyone working on any new bike...try feckn about with the 119999 super tool just now.....

just the same way the car manufacturers are fecking up the car industry...every major component matched electronically and all that crap...feckin control freaks so they can charge a fortune....

All the electronic trickery might be magic now, when your pretending to be moaner at your local circuit, but I wouldn't fancy selling a 10 year old ducati with all that crap for decent money......

Reply to this Topic
Preadator

Jan 12

Preadator says:

Too Pricey

Those main dealers charge far too much, i certainly can't afford those ludicrous prices so i just have my Butler do it.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices