Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: The cost of servicing General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: The cost of servicing

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: The cost of servicing

"The cost of servicing my bike (2009 Ducati 848) isn't horrendous, but it is significant, as it was for the CBR600RR I had before it. The parts aren't too expensive, it's the main dealer labour rates that ramp it up – and I'm not arguing with their need to charge those rates, but I'm sorely tempted to do some of...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (30 January 2013 09:45)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

kl595!

Well said! My car is cheaper to service than my bike which must be a joke. I had a Fazer 1000 too! Great bike And I'm thinking maybe I should have kept it!

Reply to this Topic
xvash750

Jun 12

xvash750 says:

I'd always do it

As a poor student, I can't afford the massive costs for a simple service on my virago 750. I've been quoted £130 for an oil change, oil filter and air filter. Obviously most of that is labour. Went online, bought a Haynes manual and learnt to do it myself. I'd suggest starting off with simple things like services like I did, and then work up. I'm in the process of cleaning the carbs and changing the cam chains.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

SatNavSteve

Here's a thought. ......

When the new Speed Triple came out I wasn't that keen, so I kept my 05 model but, and it's a small but, if the new model had an engine with major service intervals at 25k I might have been tempted. The reduced servicing costs might have persuaded me to buy a new one. NOTE TO TRIUMPH ;)

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

kl595!!

I think its a bit of a con as engine technology has improved in recent years as has engine oil and we are still on 6000 mile oil change intervals. Especially water cooled engines which should be on at least 10k service intervals. Perhaps MCN or Ride mag with their product tests could compare engine oils after various service intervals which would tell us how good they really are!

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

i do my own work as its does not cost much to change the oil, oil filter ,air filter and a set of plug. 2hrs work and its done.  

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Personally, I try to do as much as I am able to do as regards servicing. Don't forget, these days there are charges for disposing of oil, tyres etc. in an environmentally friendly, plus the cost of rent, wages, heat, light, spares stock. etc. Main dealers don't always do a particularly good job, more so in the car world. There are some shoddy bike servicing departments as well. I've always tended to go on personal experience and talking to others who've had work done at shops. Generally, it's the smaller places, who rely on word of mouth and happy repeat customers who are able to survive these days. I'd rather go to someone who can repair rather than just replace. They are getting harder to find, but they are out there. You'd be surprised at the skilled people in your area who you haven't discovered yet!

Reply to this Topic
gordonglover

Feb 04

gordonglover says:

cheap gits servicing

i take my tyres to the cheapest tyre place but he is also the best i can find and very good mechanic, i take the tyres off myself so not to waste time because he and his son are so busy; i bought my 6month old secondhand bandit1250 from a local suzuki main dealer, supposedly fully serviced;;;; was it çççk so did it myself on the first day and never went there again, so how much profit have suzuki lost in 3 years ??? no wonder they pulled out of moto gp skint so dont knock cheap gits doing ther own servicing

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

I

think I can honestly say that I've never been satisfied with the standard of work done at dealerships in the UK.  For the last two years, I've done a summer tour in France and have had the Bandit serviced at a Honda dealership on the outskirts of Paris.  A good job and cheaper than I'd pay in the UK.  I'm an advocate of home spannering all the way where you have the ability.  Choosing a simple bike to work on helps.  For me there's nothing that takes the shine off the ownership experience of an expensive bike more than crap service and high prices from the main dealers.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Servicing waste disposal

My local council run dump (sorry, Recycling centre) will take used engine oil, tyres and batteries for FREE.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

eatcs01

I owned an aprilia once, never again would i own one or a ktm because i dont want to give them my money, useless they are, customer service from them is a slap in the face

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle