Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

karlmelton

Jul 11

karlmelton says:

MK1 Bandit starting issues

Hey guys, My bike is really pi**ing me off at the moment, 

When cold the bike 9/10 times will fire up not a problem, however when iv been using the bike and i stop, turn it off, when I come back to it it wont fire up, it sounds like the battery is drained or/and sometimes it will turn over like the battery has power and wont start, 
if I leave the bike for around 30mins and it cools off the bike usually starts up fine again, im sick of going out with my friends, stopping at mcd's for a toilet stop and then going to bump my bike because it wont start

Also.. if i keep my finger on the start button it will sound as though the battery is flat and it wont fire but, yesterday I kept pressing it every second and all of a sudden it was like my battery was full and it fired up mint, iv had the battery tested and this isnt the problem - of my knowledge ? maybe it could be

Any ideas guys? im sick of bumping the bike

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (31 January 2013 14:17)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

starting

How as the battery been tested/results?

For now (with battery disconnected) i would check the battery to earth lead and then follow the red battery wire to the main fuse and starter relay switch looking for good connections and no corrosion.

Have you a multi/meter to check the battery/charging system?

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

Karlmelton...

sign on here...and ask away.:smile

forum

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

bandit

check your reg /rec , they can cause similer probs.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki GSF 600 Bandit 1997

Hi Karlmelton

With a bike of this age(it could be a number of things) and the problem you describe, i would first be checking the voltage at the igniter box(CDI) when thumbing the starter when the engine is hot,if its below 11 volts i would be looking then for the reason why.Could be a component breaking down like starter relay,reg/rec,coils,or the stator pulse generator,or even very occasionally the CDI itself,heated components expand,so over time the heating and cooling can cause damage.Also corrosion build up on some components can set off a electrical resistance steeling energy away from where it is most needed.But saying all that this could just be down to a couple of tight tappets,so check them first:smile.

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
karlmelton

Jul 11

karlmelton says:

Thank you guys

For the replies, my bike is 1998, not being picky over one year though, I do motorcycle mechanics at college but im a newbie so i dont know much atm, my tutors at college connected the battery to a machine which charges it and gives a light to say if the batt is healthy or not, it showed as healthy.

Reply to this Topic
karlmelton

Jul 11

karlmelton says:

KCMC

I apologize, im guessing you looked at my gallery, that was my mistake, the year is actually 1998

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

kc

usually is right ... sounds to me you have a couple of probs with ya bike .... sounds to me you have some bad connections in the starter button circuit ....possibly tight valve clearances also ( dunno if these are shim or screw and locknut?) ....or could also be sediment in the carbs ..

sounds like ya bike needs a little tlc tho :smile

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

Oh

Keep on with your course..... you should use your bike at college and get your tutor to help you identify possible causes and faults ....good luck

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Following on

from KCMC you might want to remove and service the starter motor first as this may have low brush levels, or the commutator may need to be redressed and as this is a low cost job.

It is worth doing earlier rather than later in your search and your course tutors will no doubt help you do this job.

Hope you locate the problem sooner rather than later.

Also while your at it trace and remove all earthing points on the bike one by one, clean the contact areas and refit. Over time corrosion and crud builds up and reduces the effectiveness of the earth points.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

starting

If battery and connections are ok you can check/bypass the starter relay switch (bridge wire) providing the starter motor and earth connections are ok.This test should be done when the bike acts daft.

You could also test the voltage at the starter motor when cranking.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices