Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

karlmelton

Jul 11

karlmelton says:

MK1 Bandit starting issues

Hey guys, My bike is really pi**ing me off at the moment, 

When cold the bike 9/10 times will fire up not a problem, however when iv been using the bike and i stop, turn it off, when I come back to it it wont fire up, it sounds like the battery is drained or/and sometimes it will turn over like the battery has power and wont start, 
if I leave the bike for around 30mins and it cools off the bike usually starts up fine again, im sick of going out with my friends, stopping at mcd's for a toilet stop and then going to bump my bike because it wont start

Also.. if i keep my finger on the start button it will sound as though the battery is flat and it wont fire but, yesterday I kept pressing it every second and all of a sudden it was like my battery was full and it fired up mint, iv had the battery tested and this isnt the problem - of my knowledge ? maybe it could be

Any ideas guys? im sick of bumping the bike

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (31 January 2013 14:17)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

mk 1 bandit

main fuse on LHS under panel..the wiring can be shorted if not checked..mine cut out as someone fitted a scotoiler and the wires were trapped and the whole thing cut out..luckily i was 50 m from my drive.

Reply to this Topic
tomcat69

Apr 10

tomcat69 says:

starter motor

Agree with Smidget this is sclassic starter motor brushes

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Bindit 600

The valve clearances are screw and locknut, so a very easy DIY job. These should be checked at EVERY service. Also the cylinder head bolts should be loosened off and re-torqued at every service. These 2 items often get over looked.

Reply to this Topic
karlmelton

Jul 11

karlmelton says:

Cheers guys

Iv just read the replies, im really thankful for your help, hopefully if the weather isnt too bad tomorrow I can do a few things that have been mentioned, my friend said his unit broken on his R1 (the unit with the cut off switch, lights and starter button) called right hand switch gear? 

he said he was having similar problems? 
Its when the bike has been used and i cut it off for short amounts of times, sometimes it will turn over fast and not start and sometimes its like the batt is totally dead, on another note, check the pics out for how clean shes looking :) 

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

cut it off

for short ammount of times???????????

What do you mean??????????

Reply to this Topic
karlmelton

Jul 11

karlmelton says:

when

Say, I wake up, start the bike with choke, 9/10 times it will fire without a problem as its been left overnight so its cold, i warm the bike up, turn choke off, i can ride to my local tesco, go in, 5mins later come back to my bike, it wont fire up, or another example, im out with friends, we stop at mcdonalds, have a drink, go back to bike, wont fire, but if im around 40mins (enough time for it to cool) usually starts right up

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

starting problems

I suggest you buy a multi/meter to check almost everything,

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?&topic-id=437130

I`ve known good batteries regenerate when switched off and batteries short out on a cell when used.Also you can check your bikes charging system and any unwanted battery drainage.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
karlmelton

Jul 11

karlmelton says:

cheers

Jaffa, To add to this, I also tried a battery from my friends bandit a few weeks back, we had been out a few hours and i needed some petrol, re-filled, went to turn my bike on, wouldnt start, i only just turned it off to fill up, so i took my friends off his bandit and put it on mine, and it still turned over but didnt start, this could of been my mistake as im unsure if he fully connected the cables because we eventually got it started, Ill do some checks with the meter tomorrow and keep you posted, thank you for your help, do you have a set list of how i should test?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

tests

Yours is a difficult one when you say the battery sounds drained and then will turn over like the battery has power,I would test the voltage at the starter motor when cranking as my second post,also any tests at the battery the morning after,also when switching on,also at 4,000rpm with headlights on,also after stopping/run out.Also as suggested tight valve clearances can stop a hot engine from starting.  

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Bandit6

I used to have a Bandit 600. It is probably one of the MOST fun bikes I've ever had (and I've had a few :lol: ).

The only time it wouldn't start when hot, was a fault with the Nitrous Oxide system :biggrin::biggrin:

It would always start if I bump started it. Have you tried that??

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices