Skip to content

Discuss This BMW sells Husqvarna General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > BMW sells Husqvarna

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

BMW sells Husqvarna

BMW has officially announced the sale of Italian dirt bike brand Husqvarna to Pierer Industrie AG – the firm headed by Stefan Pierer who is currently boss of KTM. MCN was the first to reveal BMW was lining up to sell the company earlier this week but that first rumour suggested it was KTM buying the company. It turns out its...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (31 January 2013 15:03)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

Shame really

It's a bit of a shame really. It looked like Husqvarna was going to be a mainstream motorcycle producer with the backing to produce interesting models. Now it's going back to small make production and not necessarily having long term access to engine development.. especially now they're pretty much scaled back their own engine development to use BMW plants.

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

Husky was never right for BMW

The expensive dirt bike market has contracted so much in the past that there is no hope for its expansion in the future, specially with environmental issues and lack of land access.  And who really needs a $10-12K dirt bike unless you are racing.

Excellent move by BMW to rid themselves of this major blunder.

I think the reason they aren't announcing the selling price is that, it must be ridiculously low.  Maybe not like H-D sell of MV back for 1Euro.  But something very cheap indeed.

BMW has had a few of these blunders so far:
Rover
Land Rover
Range Rover
Husqvarna

But one success:
The Mini

Now BMW can now focus exclusively on BMW and stop wearing Husky shirts at Motorrad Days!

Reply to this Topic
JacquesWood

Nov 10

JacquesWood says:

I thought Husqvarna was Swedish?

Or did it become Italian when it moved it's factory to Varese?

Reply to this Topic
ourmaninbangkok

Jan 13

BMW puchase of the rover group was not a failure.

They took the 4x4 technology they needed and put it into the X5.... a resounding success.

Once all usefull technology was transferred.... sold!

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

good point...

ourmaninbangkok, to follow your train of thought.  I have heard that the Range Rover Sport was going to the original X5 while BMW still owned LR.  But after selling it to Ford, they started a new design and LR kept that model and called it Sport.

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

Good point (redo)

ourmaninbangkok, to follow your train of thought.  I have heard that the Range Rover Sport was going to be the original X5 while BMW still owned LR.  But after selling it to Ford, they started a new design and LR kept that model and called it Sport.

Reply to this Topic
nomayor

Jul 10

nomayor says:

Yes, Exactly that. The whole of BMW needed LR to obtain knowledge over four wheel drive. Are you serious at all???????

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

We are missing the best bit that BMW acquired from Rover - MINI.

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

Just

as well I didn't buy that Husqvarna Strada(?) at my local Motorad dealer.  What about those who have bought Husqs in the past few months?  Presumably they can still get it serviced at their local Motorad dealer, but will this keep their warranty intact and will they still get the 'full dealer support' for a couple of years until the warranty runs out?

Reply to this Topic
MCN LiamM

Jul 08

MCN LiamM says:

Comment posted on behalf of John

As a Husqvarna Nuda 900R Owner I was extremely surprised to hear BMW has sold Husqvarna to the owner of KTM. and shocked that such an incredible bike was to be consigned to scrap! why?? Two design awards, worldwide acclaim..is he mad? .. the new owner is quoted as saying he wants to go back to Husqvarnas roots and felt the company was going in the wrong direction.. I totally disagree, diversify or die... Husqvarna started out in the warly 1900's making ROAD bikes... i appreciate their off-road success... and love the motard styling that nods to this on the Nuda... the Porsche brand was saved by the Cayenne 4x4 (aping the 911 nose), Enzo Ferrari built and sold road cars to fund his racing.. look at that brand.. without the road bikes.. people who don't follow motocross will forget/never hear of Husqvarna and all the glorious heritage it has built on AND off the road..come on Mr PIERER don't scrap the Nuda R...its the most relevant, exciting, agile and beautiful award winning ROAD bikes i have ever ridden in my 30 years of motorcycling ..and my first Husqvarna ..period.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices