Skip to content

Discuss This Ben Spies backs new Ducati strategy MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ben Spies backs new Ducati strategy

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ben Spies backs new Ducati strategy

Ben Spies believes Ducati’s new strategy to give full factory machinery to its entire MotoGP line-up in 2013 will be crucial in helping the Italian manufacturer close the gap to Honda and Yamaha. In a bid to develop the Desmosedici at a much faster rate and expand the amount of rider feedback, Spies, Andrea Iannone, Nicky Hayden and Andrea Dovizioso will...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (31 January 2013 16:04)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Different kettle of fish..

..as Wosi has earlier pointed out, Stoner left Ducati because he no longer felt he had the support of the upper tier of the company, this despite him being the only rider to consistently bring home results. Rossi on the other hand, basically left them in the lurch at a time when there is real potential for substantial change...his ego wouldn't allow it. Even JB made no bones about his disappointment at not seeing the project through to it's conclusion, particularly when he felt they were getting close. All this bollocks about him being too old is just a smokescreen..

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Rossi..

Going head-to-head with Jorge on the same bike is not the easy option. Staying at Ducati and taking the big pay cheque was.

The fire still burns though, to test himself against the new order & truly find out whether he still has the touch, the feel..the sublime skill.

He is prepared to stake his considerable reputation to find out. The Ducati wouldn't let him do that..and I'm not the only one who thinks it won't allow their new riders to do it either.

Rossi wants to get back to winning races and enjoying himself again and as things stand..there are only 4 bikes on the grid that will allow, all things being equal. Time waits for no man. You can't be the fastest forever and Valentino knows this.

Plenty will be looking for him to fail. Many more will be hoping he proves them wrong. One thing is for sure..we'll all be tuning in to find out.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Wosi

Amen to that pal.    I hear that Bridgestone are bringing new CRT specific compound rubber to Sepang  -  from MotoGP.com  ''at Sepang, the ‘works’ bikes will be allocated the medium and hard compound slicks while the CRT machines will be supplied with slick options that are one step softer'' The feedback from the tests will be used to develop rubber for the rest of the 2013 season.   Nostro I dare you to say Carmelo has requested a Rossi specific tyre!

Reply to this Topic
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

wosi

Its difficult having an adult conversation with children...if rossi stayed at ducati, then the stone heads would say he has no talent anymore. Since he left and WE ALL KNOW that he will be competitive again then the tossers call him a pussy. Eating crow and asking for his old bike back took a huge amount of courage, and shows he has bigger balls than these armchair pussies who only want to talk about stoner vs rossi on the duke Last i checked stoner retired and rossi rides for yamaha. Unlike stacey, rossi made no excises and was very honest in his self assessment...he said he couldnt adapt, and he doesnt know if he still has it. Knowing that rossi fodder will be hard to come by this year, we are witnessing desparate last minute insults before rossis performance leaves them speechless. Of course then they will just say...of course...hes on the best bike...but he sure couldnt ride the duke though....silly fools

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

vfr750

I have no doubt that rossi will be more than competitive back on a factory yamaha. If it is open season for psychological speculation, I think his motive in going to ducati as well as some pique that yamaha hadn't recognised the contribution he had made was to be the main focus of a racing effort, the better to get the most wins and championships in the time remaining to him, posssibly partly with the aim of surpassing ago, which he didn't need to do to be rated better than ago imo. I don't think then or now that he is frightened by the challenge of jorge lorenzo; good though jorge is he has not as yet demonstrated that he is valentino standard imo. 

Among the things valentino has been realistic about though, even humble on occasion, is how difficult what stoner did on the ducati was, rather in contrast to some of your recent arguments. I am sure he draws no wider implications, and nor should he or anyone else given what a strange beast the ducati has proven to be.

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

vfr, if I stood close enough to you, I'm sure I'd hear the ocean..

I've never questioned Rossi's ability despite the monumental fail at Ducati. It was the over inflated estimation of what was required to put the Duke right that has been a great source of amusement these past 2 years. Had he and JB shown a little more humility towards Stoner's previous achievements, maybe we wouldn't have covered so much ground on this subject. 

The fact dipsticks like you just add more fuel to the fire is a bonus.

This little gem sticks out as a good example; "of course then they will just say...of course...hes on the best bike...but he sure couldnt ride the duke though....silly fools" This has been the main argument against Stoner from Flossi's fans since 2007, albeit different bikes. Apparently, according to dim wits like you, Stoner only won in 07 because he had the best bike and the same again in 2011 on the Honda. Freedom of speech does not protect numbskulls like you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

when stoner struggle on the duke it was largely regarded as a turd that was going backwards and that never changed. Would stoner have been monumentally better than 6th this season? The ducati has gone backwards every season, yet rossi was still only 20 points further behind the championship winner than stoner was in 2010 when he was apparently on fire on it. Not sure if that shows how bad rossi was how crap the duke is orhow warped stoners fans view of his glamorous ducati record was.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

Yes, and stoner in 2010 was "only" 20 points off dani pedrosa who was second. Your point is?

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Hugeknob, let me give you some figures.

The partnership between Marco Melandri and Stoner in 2008 scored 321 points, with Casey amassing a huge 220 points more than his world championship partner. The partnership between Stoner and Hayden, from 09-10 collectively scored 712 points, this despite Casey missing races and missing out on the championship. The collective partnership between Rossi and Hayden from 11-12 scored 556 points. So actually, it's only when Rossi joined Ducati that the actual collective points haul went down. So in fact, this notion that the Ducati went backwards year on in with Stoner at the helm is pure hogwash...

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

As usual chr and df showing an almost telepathic ability to only consider/understand their own opinions. If you factor in casey being at the end of 4 years of development work on a title winning bike, to rossis desperate trying to recue an unmitigated disaster without ducatis help , well.... no doubt 1st , 2nd, 4th, 4th is going forward in some books but as 'they' say the points tallies don' t lie. Df - in 2010 both dani and rossi did everything humanly possible to let casey beat them.dani had two broken shoulders rossis injuries well documented both riders missing around 4 races.surely an opportunity in his form at that time for casey to put a 100 points on both of them..

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices