You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > licence laws

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

hawker1984

Jan 13

hawker1984 says:

licence laws

hi im 28 and wanted to do my a2 licence but with this new law that has come in will i still be able to do my a2 licence and after the 2 years will i still be able to up grade to a 600 or would i have to do the mod 1 & 2 to get on a 600 ? some one please explain to me thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (31 January 2013 16:35)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Hi hawker and welcome

as long as you do your mod 1&2 on a 600cc/40kw bike you can ride what you like :smile

Ride safe.

unit.

Reply to this Topic
hawker1984

Jan 13

hawker1984 says:

laws

that didnt really answer my question ?

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

In a word

No, you'd need to take another test before you could ride most 600's as they put out more than 93bhp

Question: Why would you want to take a restricted test when you're old enough to go the Direct Access route. (my guess would be financial?). Thus avoid having to take another test to gain an unrestricted licence?

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"Question: Why would you want to take a restricted test when you're old enough to go the Direct Access route"

This is what i was saying (thanks Ac:smile), why make life hard for yourself :unsure:

Me no understand???? or you no understand????

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Methinks

HE no understand!:blink::lol:

Reply to this Topic
hawker1984

Jan 13

hawker1984 says:

licence

because i cant afford it for 1 and the the second reason is that i want ro gain road confidance after a year ill prob do the full test guys

Reply to this Topic
hawker1984

Jan 13

hawker1984 says:

yes

nail on the head

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

False Economy

Whilst it may be slightly cheaper to do the A2 licence to begin with the fact is you'll have to do another set of tests to gain a cat A licence, in effect Doubling the amount you end up spending! Might as well pay slightly more to do direct access first time & the money you save from not having to do another set of tests could be put toward some advanced training/confidence building.

Just a thought, Happy Riding whatever you choose to do chap:smile  

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Do the

full test but just be sensible what bike you buy. You don't have to have a restricted licence to have a restrictor fitted if you wanted to go down that route and just because you have a full licence doesn't mean you have to buy a 600cc. Personally, I'd do the full test and look at a 400cc.

Reply to this Topic
OliverTomlinson

Apr 13

Interactive diagram

Hi Hawker,

I'm not sure if you are still looking for information on this, but we have just created an interactive diagram to help people understand the recent laws. You can find it by googling 'TDL motorcycle licence' or clicking HERE

Hope it helps,

Oliver

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle