Skip to content

Discuss This Andrea Iannone doubts Marc Marquez rivalry in 2013 MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Andrea Iannone doubts Marc Marquez rivalry in 2013

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Andrea Iannone doubts Marc Marquez rivalry in 2013

Italian Andrea Iannone doubts he will be able to renew his rivalry with fellow MotoGP rookie Marc Marquez in the 2013 world championship. Iannone and Marquez had some memorable battles in the Moto2 class in 2011 and 2012, but both are preparing for very different challenges in their first MotoGP season. Iannone is part of Ducati’s bid to bounce back from a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (31 January 2013 16:36)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Class act Smackbum?

Stoners record went backwards at Ducati..10 wins, then 6, 4 and 3. He jumped on a great bike at Honda, that others had readied for him and, with a decent effort won 10 again but, after being left to his own devices for a year, the downward spiral started to repeat itself, though on a slightly steeper decline with just 5 wins.

Tell me..do you class 2012 as successful? Going backwards again, getting beaten by your team mate and retiring with a barrage of abuse aimed at the series, biting the hand that fed you?

Only prediction from wosi is that your face will look like a smacked arse when Rossi starts winning again.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

No I don't wosi, even though on most counts it was more successful than any season other than 2012 in dani pedrosa's 7 year career with hrc. If stoner was feeling as he says he was feeling, he should imo have retired at the end of 2011.

I have acknowledged severally that stoner didn't have the sheer drive/will to win/mental toughness/whatever words you choose to insert to match the careers of the truly great such as rossi or doohan, which does not mean his 2 championships were not as meritorious as any in themselves, which is rather our point of difference.

Given ducati's stature in the sport, which historically is closer imo to that of cagiva than that of honda or yamaha or even suzuki, I think it is more appropriate to acknowledge stoner's success rather than look to his failure. His worst year at ducati is still close to or better than the best year of any other rider, including valentino if you insist that I belabour my point.

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

If your good enough you should be able to back to back titles especially on the curret honda. I suspect theres a little more to it than just mental toughness. Caseys technique only stands up under certain conditions though no doubt in some of those it lends him an advantage. A sort of gary mccoy but with all the electronic help and tyes 4hat never wore out.. both a thing of beauty to behold at full chat.no doubt caseys main competition (rossi)n was seriously hampered in his two winning seasons but you can only beat what is outthere..

Reply to this Topic
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

erm doohan

Stoners worst year at ducati was as good as or better than the best year of any other rider including valentino...are you sure you want to lob that watermelon? I am not touching that as its too easy, but someone will probably abuse you for that ridiculous inaccuracy. Saturn you retard...5:44 england time is barely midnight here in canada...on a saturday night. You are an idiot...in a nutshelll...in a nut shell

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

a matter of opinion

Hugelean, but I would agree that stoner's on the edge riding style as opposed to valentino's was never likely to be consistent with longevity like valentino's at the absolute pinnacle of the sport. As it happens I don't think that his failure to win the 2012 championship was down to his riding style though, but rather arrogance in refusing to accept finishing 2nd to dani pedrosa when he underestimated him at sachsenring, and a practice crash on a dodgy track which on this occasion by the fortunes of racing resulted in a significant injury. 

Reply to this Topic
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

doohan

That post i agree with...germany was a dumb mistake by casey...he didnt need to win; just finish ahead of george...indy is a garbage track...austin looks good though. They should drop the amateur go cart track that is indy before someonegets really hurt

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

I said close to advisedly

hugelean, having been a ducati fan much longer than I have been a stoner fan.

I am aware that capirossi scored a few more points than stoner did in 2010 in a couple of seasons, but he won no more than 3 races, as stoner did even in 2010, in any season and 7 in total in 5 years against 23 in 4 years by stoner.

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

Agreed although there was plenty of evidence that dani was getting ahead casey crashed trying to match dani who ws in terrific form at the time. Certain tracks. Stoner is boordering unbeatable and reckon he would have been in with a good shout of the win on the duke at pl this year along with qatar.. But he didn't dominate at enough tracks without other things going his way. Rossi won the title in europe regularly because he dominated enough tracks and was close or dominant everywhere else. Still not convinced casey didn.t leave because rossi was back on a good bike, the rivalry shouldn't be underestimated .not saying by any stretch rossi would win, despite jorges best efforts the yam ia a long way from the dominant force rossis was) but I reckon the thought of the challenge got to him,

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

wosi

You offering to administrate The MCN Regular Posters League, when it opens eddl?..seeing as Jamie's done one.

------------------------------------------------------

Bring it on. As REIGNING CHAMP i wish to batter you all again this season ;)

(Or get lucky again, delete as appropriate!)

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

The bottom line is..

..with Stoner partnering Hayden, the Ducati amassed more points collectively than it did with Rossi partnering Hayden. So in the 2 years of Rossi riding the bike and commandeering the direction of it's development, it lost ground compared to the time Stoner was on the bike.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices