You are in... Forums > General > General > Dear Shell

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Dear Shell

I visited one of your service stations today. I am not going back.

Riding a motorcycle onto the forecourt I checked all the notices on the pump. There was no notice regarding helmet removal and as a result I did not even consider this to be an issue. Regardless, there was no place to put it (space on the pumps yes, but the height was insufficient) and so I carried on regardless. Checking my wallet to ensure I had enough cash I then proceeded to place nozzle into bike and attempted to begin fuelling. The sound over the tannoy of “number 4 helmet remove please” made me feel a) a criminal, b) embarrassed and c) really could do with some proper grammar. The cashier explained without any provocation from me that it is what they have been told to do. This is fair enough however motorcyclists make up a large proportion of pleasure drivers often with bikes doing very few miles to the gallon – this kind of attitude is going to hurt you come summer time. The main reason I come to Shell is the pay at pump system which hasn’t worked for months. Why did you even bother changing it from the previous system which worked just fine? It’s a basic ‘pull factor’ for your business (especially for those in protective clothing who don’t want to sweat waiting in a queue) and you can’t get it working in a timely fashion – people need petrol so they’ll obviously have to come into your shop – again this shows contempt for those who keep your business running rather than keeping a basic (and very good) system running for the customer’s benefit.

Now it’s not that I disagree with protecting your staff – that is fine and I appreciate why you are now asking people to remove helmets. To do this with contempt for the people who hand over their money is another thing entirely. Did anyone think that a change in policy which requires a customer to partially undress would be useful to point out with a sign? There are plenty of notices around – another would not be an issue and would placate customers who did not see it originally and forewarn those who did, without embarrassment or making a minority feel like they’re suspected of being about to rob the joint. Also, consider the needs of the customer. If you’re going to make them take off clothing then ensure there is somewhere to put it – balancing it on a bike seat or mirror is precarious at best. If the helmet falls then it needs replacing. A potential 4% of your customers are going to be getting progressively more infuriated by this attitude (during summer weekends potentially far more than 4% - it’s very easy to go through two or three tanks of petrol in a weekend on a motorcycle). A change in policy needs consideration as to how this change might affect customers and more importantly what you can do to negate any negative effects. Your company makes a fortune but you’re in a competitive market where simple consideration of a customer’s needs will make a massive difference over who goes to which company. Pay at pump made me choose Shell. Now that has gone and you’ve instigated a policy which makes motorcyclists feel as though we’re under suspicion all the time. Your company has the money to invest to ensure things work and are suitable for ALL your customers, not just those in cars – this investment speaks to customers and shows whether you care about how they view your service. A quick resolution of any issues with pay at pump would have been impressive and said to customers that future problems would be fixed swiftly. All you’ve said to me is “you need us for fuel and you’ll do what we say”.

I’ll be going down the road to fill up in future.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (31 January 2013 19:02)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I

can not stand companies that have contempt for their customers. Removing helmet policy? Fine. Tell people before they fart arse around with a bloody nozzle and all is well.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

i had the same

A year ago......

Told the cunts to FUCK OFF.

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Fuel

Today, for the first time in 4 years (I think), I had to fill the bike up myself.

What's that about?  Why was there no attendant on the forecourt?  Don't they want to look after their customers?

Won't go to that Petronor again.:ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I wouldn't

mind if they'd thought about the effect it has on customers, put up a sign and so I know before hand.

I went to a petrol station which had a big sign saying "motorcyclists will not be served wearing helmets". I have no problem with that as I've been told before I bother faffing with anything else.

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

ninja............

shock, horror...!  What sort of backward country are you living in for god's sake ?!?   

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Dear Shell

well thank fcuk for that, i though you was leaving the missus.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Nah

That'd be "dear handrea".

EDIT: It's a load of marketing crap that speaks to marketing people. Lol.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

email

Phil,

I have emailed it to them so lets see what the reply is?

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

it depends where you go

and how they train their staff........some its black n white............other a more make your own mind up grey area...........i had the same bother in full uniform and a clearly marked bike..................am i really gonna risk my job for a free tank of fuel......................i did question why i should take off my lid as it was a flip up and do the ask if asian females with a  burka was asked the same (i knew the owners wife wears one and was in clear ear shot)..............she replied in total honesty that under no circumstances was she allowed to let bikers draw fuel without them wearing removing their helmets, the  tanker delivery driver who was also in the shop at the time agreed with me as he was also a biker, i asked the teller if they could provide a safe place to put my lid and cover the costs of it being damaged or stolen while i fueled then i would be so much happier......................do you know the little toad that owns the place left the poor girl to answer my questions (which she was clearly uncomfortable answering) while hiding in his office.............the moral of the story is i wont be back and neither will any of my pals after i tell them my story:wink:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

It's

already gone to them!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN