You are in... Forums > General > General > Dear Shell

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Dear Shell

I visited one of your service stations today. I am not going back.

Riding a motorcycle onto the forecourt I checked all the notices on the pump. There was no notice regarding helmet removal and as a result I did not even consider this to be an issue. Regardless, there was no place to put it (space on the pumps yes, but the height was insufficient) and so I carried on regardless. Checking my wallet to ensure I had enough cash I then proceeded to place nozzle into bike and attempted to begin fuelling. The sound over the tannoy of “number 4 helmet remove please” made me feel a) a criminal, b) embarrassed and c) really could do with some proper grammar. The cashier explained without any provocation from me that it is what they have been told to do. This is fair enough however motorcyclists make up a large proportion of pleasure drivers often with bikes doing very few miles to the gallon – this kind of attitude is going to hurt you come summer time. The main reason I come to Shell is the pay at pump system which hasn’t worked for months. Why did you even bother changing it from the previous system which worked just fine? It’s a basic ‘pull factor’ for your business (especially for those in protective clothing who don’t want to sweat waiting in a queue) and you can’t get it working in a timely fashion – people need petrol so they’ll obviously have to come into your shop – again this shows contempt for those who keep your business running rather than keeping a basic (and very good) system running for the customer’s benefit.

Now it’s not that I disagree with protecting your staff – that is fine and I appreciate why you are now asking people to remove helmets. To do this with contempt for the people who hand over their money is another thing entirely. Did anyone think that a change in policy which requires a customer to partially undress would be useful to point out with a sign? There are plenty of notices around – another would not be an issue and would placate customers who did not see it originally and forewarn those who did, without embarrassment or making a minority feel like they’re suspected of being about to rob the joint. Also, consider the needs of the customer. If you’re going to make them take off clothing then ensure there is somewhere to put it – balancing it on a bike seat or mirror is precarious at best. If the helmet falls then it needs replacing. A potential 4% of your customers are going to be getting progressively more infuriated by this attitude (during summer weekends potentially far more than 4% - it’s very easy to go through two or three tanks of petrol in a weekend on a motorcycle). A change in policy needs consideration as to how this change might affect customers and more importantly what you can do to negate any negative effects. Your company makes a fortune but you’re in a competitive market where simple consideration of a customer’s needs will make a massive difference over who goes to which company. Pay at pump made me choose Shell. Now that has gone and you’ve instigated a policy which makes motorcyclists feel as though we’re under suspicion all the time. Your company has the money to invest to ensure things work and are suitable for ALL your customers, not just those in cars – this investment speaks to customers and shows whether you care about how they view your service. A quick resolution of any issues with pay at pump would have been impressive and said to customers that future problems would be fixed swiftly. All you’ve said to me is “you need us for fuel and you’ll do what we say”.

I’ll be going down the road to fill up in future.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (31 January 2013 19:02)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

HA

Good the bastards will be seeing double!

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I hope

to be seeing double after this next beer.

Reply to this Topic
johnlad1

Mar 11

johnlad1 says:

typical

theres alot of garages doing this now and as has been already said if there no signage i find it extremly rude as for the fact that if the oen item of clothing we are legaly required to where gets nicked we will have to sit on the fourcourt until a freind or kind member of the public can fetch us a replacement or have the bike put in a van or on a trailer and taken away to avoid being prosecueted its daft

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Next time...

If you get asked to remove it (and you are one of the riders that doesn't like to);
Take an age to remove gloves,
take another age to remove helmet,
take helmet into shop and ask for location of secure storage facility.
If attendant is brave enough to suggest you leave it on the counter, ask for a receipt or ticket, since he is now taking responsibility of it.
Fill up,
Go in to pay,
retrieve helmet... then notice a scratch/mark on it that wasn't there before
then claim for a new one. :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Blader2005

Dec 08

Blader2005 says:

gotta say......

think it must depend on where you live.. ie, built up, large cities.. as i have never been asked to remove my helmet at a petrol station to fill up... two that i use regular now dont even ask me to remove it to pay... and i use several in the local area, from Jet, Total, shell, BP, and ocassionally Morrisons if i really have to..... it can be a pain, and a concern if there is nowhere to leave your lid... (for some the single most costly piece of kit you own)

Also, you may find that shell will not have this policy in place as a majority of petrol stations are franchised to a private owner.... so it may be him/her that has implemented this rather than Shell UK...

Move to Lincoln........ and keep ya lids on... :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Reply:

Dear Mr. Idiot,

Thank you for your email. I appreciate the opportunity to address
this issue with you. 

Mr. Smith under the licensing laws, we are required to take all
reasonable steps to establish that a person attempting to operate the
petrol dispensing system or purchase petrol is over the age of 16. If
the face of the customer is obscured, the staff have been trained to
request the customer to uncover their face in order to do a visual
check to determine is the customer is of the required minimum age, or
ask for proof of age. If the Customer Assistant did not do this, they
could be guilty of a serious criminal offense. 

[I'm riding a fucking motorcycle - proof enough!]

With regard to the pay at pump facility at the Shell site you
visited, kindly provide us the name or post code of the garage. This
is so we can forward your feedback onto the retailer who operates the
site and to look further into this matter.

Thank you for the opportunity to address your comments. [YOU DIDN'T ADDRESS ANY OF THE ISSUES REGARDING SIGNS OR FACILITIES - THE PRIMARY PROBLEM, YOU DAFTT CUNT]. If you
require any further information or assistance, please do not hesitate
to email us back.

Yours sincerely,

Carl

Reply to this Topic
R1SP2006

Jan 13

R1SP2006 says:

helmet off ?

Bad MR SHELL
WoW you guys live a sheltered life
(The sound over the tannoy of “number 4 helmet remove please” made me feel a) a criminal, b) embarrassed and c) really could do with some proper grammar)
Its common knowledge here in aus to remove your helmet and honestly i'm happy to get my helmet off for a few minutes just for a short break i'm not sure what  all the fuss is about
and having someone fill my bike up no thanks wouldn't trust anyone with petrol near my bike and then you also can get more in it if you fill it up yourself
we have pay at pump systems for about 10 years but i prefer to go inside to pay. (Stretch of the legs etc)
I leave my helmet on my mirror sits well there never had a problem but maybe the risk of getting it stolen is lower here
hope you don't get embarrassed again.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Helmet off?

"sheltered life"....I see what you did there.:wink:

"common knowledge here in aus to remove your helmet and honestly i'm happy to get my helmet off for a few minutes"...Yep, bet you fcuking are with your 34 degrees anorl :ph43r:

And the best bit "WoW you guys live a sheltered life"....coming from an Aussie :lol::lol::lol:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I'm

not arguing against taking a helmet off, I'm arguing that if they change their policy then they should forewarn customers and provide facilities.

FYI - I've almost had a helmet blown off my mirror and passing people are not exactly careful when it comes to potentially knocking it off. I've had gloves blown away and found some cunting car driver stood on one whilst filling up (not stopping it blowing away) - you'd notice when you were stood on the bloody knuckle armour. People around here are bellends and I certainly wouldn't leave a helmet on the bike.

Reply to this Topic
R1SP2006

Jan 13

R1SP2006 says:

@ preunit

Yes preunit it gets pretty hot here but I'm at the beach when it's that hot 30+ deg c I'm about 1hrs drive north of the gold coast and about 1&1/2 hrs south of the sunshine coast  but even when it's in the mid 20's when i stop to fuel up i like to have a rest take my helmet off but in regards to the shell incident in question i could understand if they had changed the rules without notification i would be a little pissed
i cant see any service station giving us somewhere to leave our lids when fueling up (ratio of bikes vs car drivers) again its pretty safe here in Australia never heard of someone getting there helmet stolen off their bike so maybe I'm lucky to live in a country like Australia.
:lol::lol::lol:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices