Skip to content

Discuss This Does The CB1100 Tick The Boxes? First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Does The CB1100 Tick The Boxes?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

Does The CB1100 Tick The Boxes?

It’s been a long time coming – in every sense of the expression – but the CB1100 might, just MIGHT, have made that wait worthwhile. Six years after the prototype was first unveiled at the 2007 Tokyo Show and a further three since a domestic market version went on sale in Japan in 2010, the Euro-spec version of the CB1100,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (01 February 2013 15:21)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

i don't know what the Fuss is about

its a retro parts bin special for gods sake. does nothing to advance motorcycling and has only been made to exploit a percieved Market ,which i'm not convinced exists or should be incouraged if it does. so no doesn't tick any boxes!

Reply to this Topic
PeteDuke

Jul 12

PeteDuke says:

First impression, its bloody awful...

looks like something thrown together with parts left over from 1980's and polished up.

Come on Honda you can do better than that........

Reply to this Topic
PeteDuke

Jul 12

PeteDuke says:

First impression, its bloody awful...

looks like something thrown together with parts left over from 1980's and polished up.

Come on Honda you can do better than that........

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

Personally..

..I love it! You guys are way too harsh on this bike. It sounds to not be your cup o' tea and that's fine, move along. But taken for what it is and it's a good honest, reliable ride that appeals to anyone who remembers bygone days fondly. Not everyone gets caught up in the latest and greatest. As with any bike I would have to ride one to make final judgement but from all that I've read there's enough there to make a great ride for all but the most crazed speed junkies. Some riders prefer to take it down a notch and love the styling cues that come with this bike. Would a second muffler look better along with the one on the right, I think so. But that would add to the cost quite a bit not just because of the additional can but also the catalyzer within. Two mufflers also are more susceptible to rusting out. Is this bike perfect? Heavens no, but what bike is?

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

@satnavsteve

Hiya,

Yep I had an XJR1300 and it was generally a good bike, but it did feel very cheap and rattly compared to some other bikes - my question is, did yours have the horrible flat-spot just above tickover? sometimes when you opened the throttle to pull away from the lights the engine would just die. I bought mine new from LenManchesters in Melton and it did it from new and got progressively worse. LMs told me they all did it and it was a symptom of emmissions regs !!

I doubt the Honda would exhibit such an annoying trait - especially with 6 years of development behind it!

Cheers,

Baz

Reply to this Topic
ClaretEverywhere

Oct 08

Don't slate retro.

I agree with Diablere that there seems to be an awful lot of fuss about this bike, and that it doesn't do anything to 'advance motorcycling' but then how many bikes do? Hardly any new bikes offer anything more than subtle refinements and gradual performance improvements, many of which are barely perceptible in everyday riding. Let's not forget that the basics haven't changed in more than 30 years.

As for the retro market, you can bet that it does exist. Fashion, cars, music, TV shows, gadgets; it doesn't matter what category, there's always a demand for retro versions of everything. Houses with 'period features' are always sought-after, Fiat 500s have better residual values than Ford Kas, you get the picture. Should it be encouraged? I reckon anything that widens biking's appeal should be encouraged, even if it's just a case of some bikes evoking fond memories amongst non- or ex-bikers.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Zoobaz!

Never had the flat spot you talk about. Bought it new in Nov 2002. Couldn't believe how smooth and torquey the engine was. The wife, who didn't have a full license at the time, said it was the comfiest bike she had ever been on. We went to France on it with full panniers and tank bag and it hardly noticed the weight. It just got better and had 10k on it when I sold it. The reason being, the year after, I went to Germany with my mates and we went round the Nurburgring and I really felt the weight trying to keep up. Then again, they were on a Fireblade, ZX7R and ZX9 Kwak! I swapped it for a new Fazer 1000 which was another great bike, lighter and faster. Only downside to the XJR was keeping it clean. The front of the engine was murder to clean. I'd still have another though.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

sat nav

I have ridden the XJR1300 and agree with you in respect to the smooth power and comfort and have always had a desire to own one. This is mainly due to having owned and Thrashed around on a new 88 FJ1200, which in its day was as quick as any bike in production with regards to acceleration. A standing quarter of 11 secs dead is still a respectable time 25 years later. It handled well, certainly a match for the then new Radial tyres and was "the sports tourer" of choice.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

I'm not slating retro

But for that money, I could buy a Bonny and 100 tanks of fuel. I like the bike (apart from the exhaust), I'm not sold on it at the price. It's aspirational nostalgia writ large.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Snev!

I'm sure that, over a year ago, I saw the list price of the XJR was around £9500 and then at the last NEC, on the Yam stand, I saw the price as £7999!!! If thats right, it makes the XJR quite a bargain now. Better not keep thinking about it, it might tempt me to sell the Tiger and I havn't had it a year yet! I think if a bike looks good, thats half the battle and despite its age, its still a cracking looking bike. The Honda does nothing for me!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices