Skip to content

General Dick Turpin was out today Pub Talk - over 18s only

You are in... Forums > General > Pub Talk - over 18s only > Dick Turpin was out today

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Dick Turpin was out today

Bloody great init, Dry roads, no salt, Sun Blazing and the fist rideout on my RSV and guess what? Dick bloody Turpin Hiding in his van pretending to be keeping us safe. Thanks to other road users for Flashing cuz I was about to "loose the Plot" and go all Balistic . Do these people have a life?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (02 February 2013 17:45)

Post a message in Pub Talk - over 18s only

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

snev

good to hear you got warned in time from public spirited road users.....It's our best defense.....They may have the power and technology ...but we have superiority in numbers ...if road users look after each other we will win.

I always warn other drivers / riders ..and have had my 'bacon saved' on numerous occasions by others doing likewise.

Life is better when we work together.:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

indeed it is .....

Lucky for me I had enough warning to be able to "Hoik the Prilla up and hide the Plate whilst giving the Bird" ( well actually I just slowed down )

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

scamera talivans

Round here (North Norfolk) people don't seem to warn anybody anymore :mad::mad:

Still, the speed awareness course I did was enlightening.. :shock:

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

eats

they certainly do, enlighten the wallet, the greedy scamming shower of bastardos, a regular feature round here im afraid, and one of the cheeky bastards can and does get into quite a few heated scuffles with the farmer types, very very entertaing to watch when they spray them with the slurry hose and completely fcuk up the scamera vans viewing hole and lens.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Well

if they're parked on his land without permission then they're parked illegally and I'm not sure if they can legally prosecute you.

Round here they actually spent a fortune making laybys for the cops to sit in. Unfortunately I would say that they need fixed speed cameras as people frequently lose control due to going too fast and end up spinning out on a playing field with a kids playground. I know of one death recently (motorcyclist) and just last week someone got knocked down which I'm positive would have been near impossible were the driver doing 30 as you'd have an age to stop (unless they were not looking at the road for about 5 seconds, which is a hell of a long time). The problem is that it comes off country lanes which are a 60 and people just don't seem to get they've entered a proper residential area as the country lanes are fields etc.

There's a case for fixed speed cameras in some areas (round here they need about three purely to stop people doing 60+ in a 30 or some other way to slow people down permanently, not just bringing in cops occasionally to get revenue) but having random checks like this is more useful for raising money than it is for slowing people down in areas where speeding (by that I mean going too fast for you to stop on your own side of the road in the distance you can see to clear and under complete control, not just exceeding the speed limit) is directly causing death and injury.

If you're exceeding the speed limit and doing it safely I have no problems. I do have a problem when it's around kids, etc. Where I'm talking about there are crossings, multiple tricky junctions and blind junctions as well as cars parked in awkward positions - it's not somewhere where you can reasonably exceed 30, purely due to the number of potential hazards.

Reply to this Topic
Blader2005

Dec 08

Blader2005 says:

speed awareness course...

a firend of mine recently attended one of these and said it was hilarious... not for the course, but for one of the other attendees...

the tutor allegedly whilst doing all the H&S chat at the star was going on bout fire alarms and if the building burns.... to which this attendee (who was possibly from the travelling fraternity) piped up.. "fuck-sake man.. get on with it.. were speeders not feckin arsonists"... but it got better.. during the hazard awareness part.. the tutor shows a video and ask the room "now what can you see on this road?" again, this heavy Irish accent pipes up "Tarmac"!!   Classic!! 

almost wish id been on theat course.. ;)

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Get the hump

Best way to get motorists to slow down in a 30, is to put in loads of speed humps.

Not the nasty steep 'damage your car' type, but irritating 'make you sick if you go over them too fast' type, like we have in spain.  They are every 200 meters in most towns!  About as wide as zebra crossings.

Speed cameras - yes, we have those too - but most of them seem to have green paint on the lenses:wink:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices