You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > touring

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

sarahm919

Apr 12

sarahm919 says:

touring

Am thinking of touring in Europe in May this year.It will be Saturday to the following Sunday.  Has anyone got any ideas?  Is anyone going around that time, even if it is for longer as I can leave you early and head back if needed.  Riding on your own is never fun!!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (02 February 2013 18:31)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
johnrodgers

May 09

johnrodgers says:

Massif Central?

You don't say how where you're crossing or how much mileage you want to do. I'd be tempted to head for the Massif Central region of S. Central France, maybe following the W coast then picking up the Loire or Dordogne valleys en route. You're far enough south to be in a different climate, the area is wild and underpopulated with some of the best sceney in France (the Auvergne volcanic region and the Ardeche are particularly attractive).

Lots of campistes, lots of interesting villages and towns and not too far to ride back.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/France_Massif_central.jpg

Reply to this Topic
olderbutnowiser

Dec 10

Accomodation

If you don't want to camp, and want to travel lighter, and have secure bike parking and good food and company, with a high standard of accomodation, I can recommend the French Chambre D'hotes ( a version of B&B, but better ). Yes it might cost a bit more, but you will meet lots of different people ( you eat with the other guests and the family ), you can arrive and leave later if you want to, be warm and dry with security for you and the bike.  The websites below are some that list Bike friendly places ( there are others ).  Have a good trip !

http://www.beds4bikers.com/biker-bed-breakfast-accommodation/France/204/

http://www.bike-stay.net/france/index.html

http://www.bmf.co.uk/pages/bmf_main_pages.php?main_page_id=133

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

Biker Freindly

I know this is off topic slightly, and also I know I'm about to get peppered with stories, but this whole 'biker friendly; thing I've never understood.  I've lived in and toured all over France, and never gave my mode of transport one thought, regardless of where I was staying (big hotels, small chambres d'hotes etc, city centers, tiny villages).  As long as you behave yourself and pay, I don't think people mind that much.  Unless by biker it refers to the leather waste coat wearing patch laden stupid hair and beards bikers, I don't know?  And even then, I'm not sure why they'd have a problem.  Anyway, personally speaking, never had a problem.  I'm sure it's just advertising.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Hmmm

Stupid hair and beards make no difference this I know :wink: as for waistcoats not sure as I'm more of a cummerbund type of guy, patches....good for flats :eyebrows:

Reply to this Topic
olderbutnowiser

Dec 10

Biker Friendly

'Biker Friendly', generally means that they have some form of secure parking, kit drying, and bike washing facilities etc. and understand that touring on a bike is different than in a car, and you may have different requirements.  Although, after talking to some accomodation owners that have joined these websites without being bikers themselves ( a lot are ) but they do have the above facilities, they were apprehensive about having bikers at first. Remember there is a lot of negative press in regards to bikers that is discussed often in the MCN.

Reply to this Topic
Busteruk

Dec 09

Busteruk says:

Europe

I'm assuming you're back by the time you get this reply so hope your trip to Europe was a good one and I hope your experience is as good as ours has been in the past hence why the group I sometimes ride with goes back each year. The weather, food, accommodation road conditions, cream cakes and general attitude to bikers is far better than the UK’s.

:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices