Skip to content

Ask an Expert Camping on bike for first time. Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > Camping on bike for first time.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

philipab

Feb 13

philipab says:

Camping on bike for first time.

Hi,

I plan to go camping when it warms up on my kawasaki GPX250r 1996. I've bought soft panniers and soft tail pack plus a tank bag for Satnav. I'm worried that with all of them full and putting a tent on the back might be too much for it. Has any one got any way of putting my mind at ease about the weight issue plus advice on camping on bike.

Thanks.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 February 2013 08:54)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

camping

Welcome phil,brings back memmories as in avatar,obviously the heaviest should be on your pillion seat and the lightest in the tail pack,increase back tyre pressure, money/cards/licence always on you,valuables in a removable tank bag.Oil & brush for your chain,toothbrush/paste,underpants/T-shirt/socks,hair shampoo (if any hair) and washing powder.Also don`t forget to ride SOUTH.  

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

weighty camping

A month before you go, pack everything on your bike and practice riding it fully loaded.

Reply to this Topic
sarahm919

Apr 12

sarahm919 says:

camping for first time on bike

hi, I'm also going camping for the first time but on a bit bigger bike. 
The 250 should do it as long as you don't put too much weight on the pillion seat, you don't need much if you really think about it, tent, sleeping bag, mat to sleep on and then the usual stuff you normally go on holiday with.  Just think about how much clothes you really need and are going to wear.
If you do this properly you will cut down your stuff to essentials and some luxury items. 
Most bikes will take a passenger, so if you work out the average weight of your passenger plus riding gear you should be ok with some luggage on your own.
Any idea where you will be going?  Going abroad is always more fun and can give you warmer weather and less rain, essential for camping and biking.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
philipab

Feb 13

philipab says:

Going to.

I plan to keep off motorways and stick to main roads. As this is my first bike holiday I won't be going too far sticking with in a 2 hour radius of Banbury most likely heading south but won't be going abroad haven't driven anywhere out of England yet. Thanks for all advice. Plus not taking pillion.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Camping

on a bike.....

A. This is not a good look but is upto you, I was under the impression that the glamrock look had died out.

B. I would think that pitching the tent on the bike could/would lead to some difficulties.

Weight I would keep to a minimum,

Spare socks, spare dunghampers, toothbrush, towel, soap (not totlally necassary), trainers or flip flops, legal documentation (keep on your person at all times, and money or barter goods.

Enjoy.

Edit just read Jaffa's post, surely we both can't be wrong.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Protection

Just remembered don`t forget to take some women/sun protection.:lol:

Reply to this Topic
sarahm919

Apr 12

sarahm919 says:

camping abroad

Shame you won't consider going abroad.  You'd have more sun, much more biker friendly places and riding on the right is instinctive on a bike.  And as a bike rider you are much more aware of what is going on around you so being aware of the difference in priorities is easy to understand.  Just go for it and enjoy it.

Reply to this Topic
johnrodgers

May 09

johnrodgers says:

No problem

Don't pack more than you need, tent, sleeping bag, thermarest, stove to make a brew, a good book (or two) and some basic tools and chain lube is enough. If you're just going away for a few days pack a couple of cheapo T-shirts then when they get dirty use them as a rag for cleaning bike then bin-less weight to carry.

Have you thought about heading to Wales? Follow the A40 to Ross on Wye, turn left, job done. Brecon Beacons, Gower Peninsula, Elan Valley, Black Mountains, Wye Valley,   all worth exploring, lots of campsites and not far away. I personally wouldn't bother with the Sat Nav, getting lost is all part of the fun.

Reply to this Topic
vanortset

May 09

vanortset says:

camping on a bike

:smilekeep your bulk on the passenger seat,putting weight further back will cause the bike to be unstable.at the end of a days riding you need to be comfortable,good sleeping bag and mat and a tent with a bit of space,i use a vango beta 350 fantastic.i found soft panniers a ball ache.hard cases much better.

Reply to this Topic
masterofpuppets

May 12

no sat nav

go the old school way, use a map learn to read it and you'll loads of fun iv'e been told by a couple of friends, it will be my first big trip this year on my ER-6f around scotland and will be learning maps and getting lost too that's the best thing about touring it's an adventure, jaffa90 is right, http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-reeded-single-sized-sleeping-airbed-p143575 click on the link below i own that air bed it's small enough to fit in your tank bag and it's very comfy sleeping on best air bed iv'e ever bought a friend bought before download last year and my air bed bust with the first day bought one theese before i went cadwell and never looked back.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices