You are in... Forums > General > General > Bike Licence vs Car Licence

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

LearnerRider

May 12

LearnerRider says:

Bike Licence vs Car Licence

Hi all I need a little advise from you guys......

I'm having a little argument at the moment with my dad over getting a car licence.
I have owned a 50cc for a year and have just put down a deposit for a new 13 plate 125cc bike. I love biking and subsequently have been bitten by the biking bug! I have had a few car lessons and just don't enjoy it as much as my biking.

My dad however thinks I should keep going to get my car licence, but I don't see the point of spending hundreds of pounds on a pointless car licence as insurance for all new drivers is a JOKE! Try £4000 for size! My argument is that its much cheaper (and more fun) riding bikes, and you don't get punished for passing your test.

What do you lads (and lasses) think I should do? I have no real interest in cars tbh and I don't ever actually see my self ever owing one. Any help or convincing arguments appreciated. 

Thanks Ash 
Ride Safe 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 February 2013 17:54)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
stonysleet

Dec 10

stonysleet says:

I hear that

I was in exactly the same place had a bike as soon as I was 16 and never thought of a car. 

But I still done my car test as soon as I could afford it aged 18, passed my bike test 5 months later when I could afford that. 

Didn't buy a car till I was 20 only had it only for a year and still haven't owned a car for the last 7 years. But it is something they can't take away from you unless you do something silly. Kept a bike all the time. 

Also if you get your car licence now and don't get a car, insurance companies will see you haven't had a crash and your not a new driver when you may need a car in the future thus keeping your cost lower. Plus it is handy to have for work if needed, emergencies and whatever. Also bike insurance may go down if they see you can use another form of transport other than your bike. 

I know it is expensive but in the long run it'll be cheaper. Try and find a family member willing to teach you some driving to get used to a car and a bit of driving to try and keep cost lower then use an ADI to teach you how to pass your test. Pass it then enjoy your new 125 cc thus 
1 keeping your dad happy
2 securing your future 
3 keep the cost down

Shiny side up :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

hmmmmmm

there are way too many cars on the road so go with the bike option.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

Do the car licence

it will be worth it.  I did my bike licence first then my car.  Didn't drive a car for a few years but boy was I glad I had it.

Circumstances change in life so what you need now may be different a couple of years later.

Nothing to lose and lots to gain

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

didn't get my car licence til

I was 20, tried a few lessons at 17, didn't get on with it so stuck with bikes........as you say insurance on a car at your age is prohibitive, so it's almost 'what's the point?'.....unless you can get your dad to insure on his car!! :unsure:

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Licences

Do both!  Just because you pass your car test doesn't mean that you have to rush out and buy a car. You can continue to ride a bike.  Chances are you will end up driving sooner or later but don't look at it as a choice between one or the other - make use of both.  No matter how much you love riding, a car licence is still a useful thing to have.    

Reply to this Topic
Blader2005

Dec 08

Blader2005 says:

get the car licence...

like others say.. its a handy thing to have.. and once you got it... you got it.. (as long as a judge dont see a reason to alleviate you of it)

like others say... life changes.. shit happens.. and there WILL be times when you are gonna need more than two wheels and one seat!

even if you dont buy a car.. maybe you could go as a named driver on someones policy.. use your bike all the time still.. but you have the fall back of a car...

its always nice to have a choice!

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

do both

and i hear you with the insurance racket, but a few years down the line try taking a wife and maybe a couple of kids out with just a bike licence, the transport costs will im sure offset the horrendous insurance costs eventually, and as old father time creeps up on you, the car will become ever more reliant than freezing yer tits off in mid december.

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

Get the car test done.

No need to own a car just because you passed the test. You can use your bike forever if you want to, but there's no doubt that a car licence may come in handy one day. Get it now, before it gets even more expensive.

Reply to this Topic
Richnotrich

Apr 11

Richnotrich says:

LR

Dad knows best.:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

It's your decission

It's your life and entirely your choice. Having a driving licence would be useful but it's entirely your choice if you go for it now or leave it till later.

The vast majority of todays bikers drive cars most of the year and would look horrified if you suggest riding a bike throughout the entire year. That's entirely their choice and this is yours.

Todays learner situation is not the same as it was for them and car insurance is so staggeringly high that I can fully understand people questioning whether it is now worth it. Personally I just think of all the time and money I'd be loosing sitting in traffic jams watching my life being robbed from me and the costs to sit in that traffic jam. I have decent all weather bike kit so generally see the car as a liability. Other will disagree and that's there perogative.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle