You are in... Forums > General > General > Bike Licence vs Car Licence

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

LearnerRider

May 12

LearnerRider says:

Bike Licence vs Car Licence

Hi all I need a little advise from you guys......

I'm having a little argument at the moment with my dad over getting a car licence.
I have owned a 50cc for a year and have just put down a deposit for a new 13 plate 125cc bike. I love biking and subsequently have been bitten by the biking bug! I have had a few car lessons and just don't enjoy it as much as my biking.

My dad however thinks I should keep going to get my car licence, but I don't see the point of spending hundreds of pounds on a pointless car licence as insurance for all new drivers is a JOKE! Try £4000 for size! My argument is that its much cheaper (and more fun) riding bikes, and you don't get punished for passing your test.

What do you lads (and lasses) think I should do? I have no real interest in cars tbh and I don't ever actually see my self ever owing one. Any help or convincing arguments appreciated. 

Thanks Ash 
Ride Safe 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 February 2013 17:54)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
johnlad1

Mar 11

johnlad1 says:

i was the same only wanted a bike

but im going to get my driving liscence as well as my bike liscence love my bike wouldnt ever get rid of it but just having a driving liscence is a good idea should you ever be in a situation where you need a car you dont actuly need to go out buy a car and get it insured just having the liscence will lower your insurance year on year 

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

I'd say

do the car test too.

It could be in a year or 2 you have a job where the boss then has the option of throwing the van keys at you to do a couple of deliveries.

See it as another 'string to your bow'  :wink:

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

licence

Definitely do both, I passed my car test at 17 and 5 months, (family had farms so was driving from early age)...i got  all other categories from army.:laugh:

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

I held off car licence

until I was 26. Stupid idea. Get a car licence to give yourself more choice; you're not obliged to use it afterall. Years down  the line you may want to drive around a potential spouse and/or kids. That might seem like forever-away, but why persist in keeping barriers to options in later life?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices