Skip to content

Discuss This Adventure firm kept £122,000 of charity donations General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Adventure firm kept £122,000 of charity donations

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Adventure firm kept £122,000 of charity donations

A motorcycle adventure firm used by Princes William and Harry has kept up to £122,000 belonging to charities.  Global Enduro went into administration last week having failed to pass on customers’ donations dating back to 2011 to four charities including Prince Harry’s Sentebale, supporting orphans in Lesotho. Participants in a rally each October called Enduro Africa were required to raise £1500 for...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 February 2013 15:13)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ivanhoe

Mar 04

ivanhoe says:

Not surprised

Very few charities are transparent. The money that does get past the admin costs then goes into Swiss bank accounts.

Look up Mugabes Palace on the web. 

Reply to this Topic
ourmaninbangkok

Jan 13

it seems they were trying to keep their business afloat.... simply unable to pay the committed amounts.

Let us hope it is resolved with the minimum of damage.

I am with Ivanhoe... charities take too much in Directors and administration fees. Not enough to the end cause.

Reply to this Topic
ourmaninbangkok

Jan 13

it seems they were trying to keep their business afloat.... simply unable to pay the committed amounts.

Let us hope it is resolved with the minimum of damage.

I am with Ivanhoe... charities take too much in Directors and administration fees. Not enough to the end cause.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Fraud?

I do not know about the UK, but in the US this would be considered fraud, with recovery from the directors’ personal assets possible, along with criminal prosecution.

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

@Piglet: Here too.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

In the UK it would be considered being a twat

Although it's hard not to be cynical about chaaaaridies when you see what their directors are minting.

Bikers do seem to be a soft touch for every can rattling chugger.  We're forever getting hit up with "sponsor my jolly" demands over at BCF.

If you want to help a Homeless, give it a blanket.  If you want to find a cure for cancer, put £10 in the hand of a whitecoat down the local university.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Remember the old adage, "charity begins at home"? These buggers certainly do........

Reply to this Topic
ewanhind

Jun 11

ewanhind says:

Why the charity bashing?

Global Enduro was not a charity. The issue here is that money taken by Global Enduro was not passed on to the charities who should have received it. Nothing in the article is about the way the charities themselves manage their donations. Just as most companies are run by decent people earning a living, most charities are run by decent people trying to achieve worthwhile charitable objectives. In both cases there are bad eggs, and it seems Global Enduro may have been a badly run company, but that does not reflect on the charities they were supposed to be assisting, surely?

Reply to this Topic
rjdjones

Feb 05

rjdjones says:

@rogerborg

"If you want to help a Homeless, give it a blanket" It? Try "him" - since almost all of the homeless are male and could be there because they've lost everything after a divorce, or losing their job, or being ex-service ... and with the way our economy is these days ... there could be a lot more people on the street soon. As for the charity thing - completely agree - take a look at almost any charity's salaries, office rents and money spent on "awareness" campaigns rather than actually doing anything about the problem they claim to care so much about. Comic Relief is 25 years old today - after all the money raised - just how much has been achieved ... and how much has been taken for admin or stolen by officials/locals/warlords/etc instead of it getting to the people it was supposed to be for?

Reply to this Topic
bobsnicholson

Aug 02

karma enduro

My wife and i went on the 2nd group of "Karma Enduro" in Nov 2011. Driving an old Morris Oxford from Goa to Cochin in Kerella, over about 2200ks.

I have to say i was one of the best experiances we have ever had. The Karma Enduro team were without fault.

As 50% of the total cost's of the trip were to go to various charities we didn't mind too much the expense.

During the trip we decided the cause was well worth while. I wanted to give more. We sponsored 30 children education for 1 year  (this is additional the the sponsorship ). This we did by bank transfer to the actual charity, not Enduro. I also wanted to gift a New Royal Enfield Bullit to the guy who is responsible for getting the kids into school. I insisted that the bike will be purchased for "the man" and all registration documents, ownership etc will be in his name, NOT Endro or the charity. This was duly done.

I have since been back to India, met "the man" again, rode the bike and confirmed the bike is his property. The bike now gives him the means to get out to villages further afield to convince the kids to go to school.

There is no doubt the charities involved with Enduro conduct their business with the greatest integrity, BUT one has to be ever so careful when parting with large sums of money that said money gets to it's intended destination in the highest percentage possible.

Give direct...........not via.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle