Skip to content

Discuss This Adventure firm kept £122,000 of charity donations General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Adventure firm kept £122,000 of charity donations

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Adventure firm kept £122,000 of charity donations

A motorcycle adventure firm used by Princes William and Harry has kept up to £122,000 belonging to charities.  Global Enduro went into administration last week having failed to pass on customers’ donations dating back to 2011 to four charities including Prince Harry’s Sentebale, supporting orphans in Lesotho. Participants in a rally each October called Enduro Africa were required to raise £1500 for...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 February 2013 15:13)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Adventureboy

Feb 13

Adventureboy says:

Missing the point?

Why are so many people missing the point here? Yes, Global Enduro in the early days helped facilitate donations from clients to charities. They didn't donate anything themsleves. Towards the end, Global appear to have decided it was OK to use money collected from clients, that was destined to go to charity, to prop up their failing business. This will have included paying themselves. In an earlier post from the US I think, they said it would have been fraud in America. IT IS HERE TOO! Taking money that is not yours is theft.

The charities have suffered and I cannot see why the Charity bashing is going on. Focus people. Global Enduro have stolen money from Clients and Charities, have not apologised and are not prepared to answer specific questions. No wonder you could never pay for a trip with credit card. It was always bank transfer or cash. I wonder why......................

Reply to this Topic
Vortex52

Oct 09

Vortex52 says:

Criminal

I am not going into the suffering of so many because of this fraud, but this is the sole reason why I never give money to charities ! Firstly for every £1 we give only a small percentage goes to the enduser as the majority goes to administration (whetever that is )

Secondly it is very commum to hear about fraud which makes me feel robed if I give any money away.

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

Sadly this is.........

...........all too common. Even above board charities take 90% of the money donated.

Reply to this Topic
Adventureboy

Feb 13

Adventureboy says:

Pay attention

Dear God people, this is not about a charity wasting money, this is about a privately owned company taking donations from their clients and using them as cash flow rather than handing them on to the charities that they were collected for. It may be hard, but try to focus on the point of the article!!!!

Global Enduro was NOT a charity. It took money donated to charities and spent it! FRAUD committed by a private company. Clear enough?

Reply to this Topic
Steve09R1

Dec 09

Steve09R1 says:

Inevitable

Sadly, this was only a matter of time folks.

I went on the first Enduro Africa and it was like 'a stag weekend on two wheels'- racing though the country with little respect for it or it's people, too much beer in the evening only to repeat all over again the next day. Bikes were wrecked, drugs were taken, the (married) organiser even tried it on with the the female participants. Not my cup of tea really.

They were never a charity; never. Nothing like it. That was just the heartwarming bait used by the marketing men. They misrepresented this fact, and indeed played on it. In the early years they didn't even make this bit very clear. They were a profitmaking organisation who took their running costs out, along with their profit and chose to give the bit that was left to charity. Or not. What has now happened proves this beyond doubt!

I don't understand how their costs could have got so high to cause them to go bust? If you don't have the bookings don't run the trip(s).

Reply to this Topic
boyracer33

Feb 13

boyracer33 says:

Don't blame the charities

I have been on a Global Enduro trip and can honestly say it was the best adventure on 2 wheels I could ever have imagined.  The principle of riders raising money for charity and Global Enduro facilitating the events is a good one.  It should be a win for the charities (donations), a win for the riders (adventure) and a win for the tour operator Global Enduro (profits).  Unfortunately, the founder of Global Enduro let it all go to his head and started spending more than the company's profits and dipping into the charity funds.  All to fund his egotistical, narcasistic lifestyle.  Even now he's got the Lance Armstrong syndrome. This is not about any wrong doing on the part of the charities.  It's about the directors of a company, Global Enduro, putting their hands in the till and taking money which belonged to the charities.  It's as simple as that!

Reply to this Topic
Padvan

Feb 13

Padvan says:

Global Enduro

I have to say that I am somewhat surprised by the number of posts (on this and other sites) that express sympathy for Global Enduro and its directors for their recent demise, and imply that the charities deserve some approbrium. Let me start out by stating that I took part in the 2008 Enduro Africa and the 2012 Enduro India and on the whole they were well organized and very enjoyable trips - mainly because GE sensibly used local organizers to arrange the events, (although I was unimpressed to discover that a client had been killed on the India Enduro trip before ours - but that was not revealed until after our arrival in India). Subsequently, I signed up for the Duma Tau which was scheduled to take place this month, and only a few weeks ago - well past the time that GE must have known that it was highly unlikley that they would be able to perform the trip - they were chasing me up to wire transfer the final installment of the fees. (As no airfare was incuded in the trip price, their failure is not covered under ATOL and I am out GBP 4,295 with no possibility of recovery). I could live with this and simply put it down to experience even at my not-so-young age were it not for the fact that we now learn that FOR YEARS Simon Smith and Nick Capsey, the two principals of GE, have been diverting funds that were collected from hundreds of clients like myself on behalf of the charities and using them for their general corporate purposes. This is not merely "sad" or "unfortunate" as some commentators have opined, but a serious criminal offense. Further, it is obvious that GE intentionally misled charities  regarding the prospects for the eventual payment of the monies owed, to say nothing of continuing to solicit advance funds from future clients for trips that obviously could not materialise. I have nothing but admiration for the local people I met in Africa and India who were active in arranging the trips and for the work that hard-pressed charities were doing to try and improve the lives of some of the poorest people on the planet. That worthy mission has just been made that much harder, which they do not deserve. Simon and Nick belong in jail, and I sincerely hope that that is were they will end up. And here is one post that they will not be able to delete at their pleasure as they have done with all the previous ones that displeased them.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Global Enduro demise

Most people can agree that in this case Global Enduro organisers appear to have stolen monies promised for charities. That obviously is deplorable. There however seems to be a groundswell of opinion that the charities themselves are culpable of stealing charity money intend for the poor and victims by absorbing them in admin and management fees. Both of these scenarios are remarkably similar to each other so maybe charities should also be questioned about whether THEY are obtaining monies by deceit. Paying 5% of income to victims and the poor admonishes them of guilt in the eyes of the law but maybe not in the eyes of contributors?

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Charity deceipt.

I myself have sponsored an individual for what turned out to be travel fees to and across Africa culminating in a few days work building a school. Had that person not gone but donated the full amount instead the school would have benefitted much more, although I believe the plea was genuine and the reality hadn't dawned.

The "charity collection bags" posted through your door are often from private companies who pledge to donate only a very small percentage of what they make from your clothing and bric-a-brac donations to the nominated charity.

My latest example was a collection allegedly on behalf of the Children's Air Ambulance charity. When I checked with them they confirmed that the collection was authorised but further checks on my part showed that the collection company they were using had previously been prosecuted in Leicester for collecting without a licence, and they were only donating a small fraction of the takings. It shouldn't be allowed.

Even some council clothing banks have been handed over to private companies who sell to Ireland and Eastern Europe. You're not donating, you're giving goods to someone to sell for a profit, or giving money for a holiday with a bit of community service at the end.

The best bet is to donate cash or goods directly to a known charity or to do volunteer work at your own expense.

Reply to this Topic
pebble35

Aug 03

pebble35 says:

The demise of Global Enduro is a shame - I did two trips with them back in 2006 to India and then I did the first Enduro Africa trip. Both were amazing experiences, great riding in stunning countries with first class organisation and support from a passionate team. In the current economic climate things have changed and, like many other businesses that rely on the general population having a bit of surplus cash to spend on 'luxuries' the Global Enduro team has suffered. Many people will have lost money as a result - the charities, suppliers, staff, and prospective travellers. It's unfortunate but it is a sign of the current times. They were not the first, and I am sure they won't be the last firm to go bust. With all the mudslinging going on please don't forget that Global Enduro still raised (and paid over) several million ££ to charities in the past and that will have made a big difference to many people's lives. Personally I am proud to know that, somewhere in Africa there is a little Yamaha 200 getting a Riders for Health worker around because I did the first Enduro Africa with Global Enduro.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices