Skip to content

Discuss This Adventure firm kept £122,000 of charity donations General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Adventure firm kept £122,000 of charity donations

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Adventure firm kept £122,000 of charity donations

A motorcycle adventure firm used by Princes William and Harry has kept up to £122,000 belonging to charities.  Global Enduro went into administration last week having failed to pass on customers’ donations dating back to 2011 to four charities including Prince Harry’s Sentebale, supporting orphans in Lesotho. Participants in a rally each October called Enduro Africa were required to raise £1500 for...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 February 2013 15:13)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
GraemeAllison

Feb 13

Global Enduro

I too was booked and fully paud up to the Duma Tau trip this month however in Global's terms they stated they would take out appropriate insurance under the 1992 regulations to cover the participants in the event of financial failure. They keep avoiding the question so I can only assume they didnt! The last payment was only paid a couple of weeks ago when they knew they were going into administration. The whole thing stinks of fraud; the company directors have clearly acted illegally.

Reply to this Topic
amuldoon

Sep 05

amuldoon says:

Very sad!

I did Enduro India back in 2004 and asked a lot of questions with regards to the charities and donations back then....this is a very sad day!

Reply to this Topic
Steve09R1

Dec 09

Steve09R1 says:

deceitful thief...

I have just read this quote from deceitful thief and narcissistical confidence trickster; Simon Smith ex-boss of defunct tour firm, Global Enduro on a smaller biking website-

Some cynics would suggest that your charity angle is merely a tool to make people sign up...

' Of course it is, we want them to sign up so we raise more money for charity! That’s why we do this. I don’t give a shit what cynics say, how many companies do you know big or small that are raising £1 million per year for charity? This is a way of life for us. We earn decent salaries in the office and why not, we work bloody hard and we’ve got to pay our bills, but central to what we do is raising money and we give away over 50% of our profit every year'.

'give away over 50% of his profit every year'!

It was never his money/ or profit in the first place and the charity part only ever used to market and fill his tours!

Discraceful

Reply to this Topic
cymrowelshman

Jan 13

Thieving Global Enduro

I did the 2nd Enduro India in 04, the first Enduro Africa in 06 and have paid £2500 towards Duma Tau in May 13. Looks like I have been royally ripped off, in addition to the charities!

Smith & Capsey must have known it was all going downhill for at least 6 months and yet still took a payment from me on Dec 22nd

THIEVING, LYING, FRAUDS.................

if anybody knows a way to try and get any money back please let me know!!

Reply to this Topic
simonsith

Feb 13

simonsith says:

THIS IS JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG

Simon Smith is nothing more than a lying cheat. His job 'in the city' consisted of selling advertising space in magazines that didn't exist. So we all trusted a dodgy salesman to pass on our charity donations.

Questions need to be asked, and answered, about all the charity donations passed on to the charities by Simon Smith from Global Enduro, Enduro India, Enduro Africa, Karma Enduro etc. I am convinced we've all been spun a yarn about how much of the money we all worked hard to raise actually made it to the charities. Sure some did. But how much of what we were told. The figures don't stack up. Well the figures we know about that is. Everyone I met had raised over the minimum amount, sometimes two and three times. We were never told (even though we asked many times) how much was raised in the end and how much was passed on. It would make very interesting reading to see how much 'charity' money was collected and how much our 'trusted' friend Simon passed on to the charities.

Someone out there knows the truth about this. If I, and lots more of us, are wrong then I think it would be easy for Simon to make the figures available and put the minds of the 1000s of people who raised millions of pounds at rest.

Go on Simon – show us how honest you have been!
Now that's a challenge!

Reply to this Topic
oceaa

Dec 08

oceaa says:

Holding onto charity contributions, isnt it fraud?

Check out companies house "Global Enduro International Ltd" was set up on Aug 3rd 2012 with one shareholder Mr Simon James Smith. "Global Enduro America Ltd" set up 13/07/2012 Mr Nicholas Capsey sole shareholder. I would say the accounts need to be scrutinised. Seems strange on the timing is it possible the directors of Global Enduro Ltd didnt know about the financial difficulties in July/August 2012?

Reply to this Topic
oceaa

Dec 08

oceaa says:

links to check the activities of the Enduro directors

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/08141998 http://company-director-check.co.uk/ Use facebook to login to the above links

Reply to this Topic
crazyrider

Feb 13

crazyrider says:

Writing was on the wall

I participated in the 2012 Enduro India, it was a massive difference to the one I had done previously, less than half the number (and that included cars). The company offered places to previous participants without asking for a charity donation. Having looked at the Company's records it looks like it was using charity donations to fund its cash flow (ie: as a form of over-draught, by keeping charity money for a period of time before handing it over) and when the recession hit, with the inevitable slow down in purchase of what is clearly a luxury product, it started to burn up the charity cash in the vain hope that things would get better, which of course it didn’t. This is straight forward mismanagement of the business. The charity money should have been ring fenced and the company could then raised working capital against future bookings as other travel companies do. Small companies can take advantage of simplified statutory reporting and if, under 10 million, avoid a full audit by Chartered Accountants. However the law is clearly at fault here, whilst it is right that a small company should benefit from complex reporting it is wrong that a company handling charity money should not be subject to the scrutiny of outside auditors, if that had been the case this may not have happened.

Reply to this Topic
nickshutt

Jun 04

nickshutt says:

Global Enduro

I've done 3 trips with them, Enduro Himalaya in 2009, the Himalaya Jeep Recce in 2009 and Enduro Himalaya in 2012.  I feel sorry for those in India, particularly Sam, there were whispers then, than all was not well. Penny pinching and disorganisation were evident.  I wrote to GE when I got back, they didn't reply of course.

It's a shame, but I really did get the feeling that it was all to fund Nick and Simon's lifestyles and egos.

Reply to this Topic
globalbiker

May 13

globalbiker says:

global enduro

I have been following the demise of this company/charity and all the comments. I know many people who have gone on these trips and one who filmed a documentary for them. We also brought them on a recce to Cambodia but that is another issue I cant be bothered airing here. My reason for posting is;

I founded a motorbike charity that is indeed honorable. I have worked for 9 years without any payment and meet most of the considerable expenses out of my own pocket and those of fellow directors. We strive to get your donations to work as effectively as possible and we are good at it. we have a motorbike theme running through our core. we teach streetkids how to be mechanics. Started with one trainee now have 70. We took the concept to young disabled and now have a centre that teaches great young kids. Even all our staff are young disabled teachers. We are about to commence another centre and this may be of interest to the motorbike community. We are viable, visable and visitable. I am trying to prove that not all Scotsmen are mean and not all bikers are untrustworthy; a tough double ! Anyway please check us out; the facebook is most up to date-Rideaid facebook and our website has the bones but will be updated in June. If you like our activities, please write and say hi or join our facebook.
www.rideaid.net

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices