Skip to content

Ask an Expert distilled/deionised??? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > distilled/deionised???

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Blader2005

Dec 08

Blader2005 says:

distilled/deionised???

Tech spec says my 02 blades coolant/anti freeze should be a 50/50 mix of coolant (ethylene glycol) and distilled water...

i know they're slightly different in purity, but would there be any harm in using deionised water in place of distilled?? the price difference is crazy!! 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 February 2013 21:37)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Blader2005

Dec 08

Blader2005 says:

james..

i did look into it.. (research.. not the bowl of water)  :wacko:

and i see yours and units view.... some places say rain water is distilled by the natural process of evaporation and condensation.. (clouds) others say it is contaminated as it falls....

might have a go at some simple distilling meself just for the hell of it.. :biggrin: boil from a large pot via a cooled hose into a britta filter jug...  sorted...

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Blader.

Science! I love it.
:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

So

is the water collected from a dehumidifier distilled or deionised?

Reply to this Topic
R1SP2006

Jan 13

R1SP2006 says:

just buy pre-mixed

you can also get coolant that is pre mixed ready to go from your local bike shop or auto store so you won't have to worry if its mixed correctly or has the wrong type of water in it :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

"Is the water collected from a dehumidifier distilled or deionised? "

A good question, Smidget, you got me thinking again.

We’re expanding the original question of whether ‘deionised’ and ‘distilled’ are significantly different in terms of radiator fluid requirements. Strictly, the technique of distillation is the act of heating a mixture so that the components are separated based upon their volatility. The component with the lowest boiling point vaporises first and the pure vapour can then be isolated and cooled so that it condenses into a separate container.

With electric de-humidifiers (and fridges which Gunger mentioned elsewhere) there is no prior purification step; ie. the heating stage which fills the condenser with water vapour and only water vapour. The air is chilled, water condenses and falls into the collection box. If there is tobacco smoke or bacteria in the air it is likely to contaminate the condensate just as Preunit suggested with rainwater. Whether you’d regard that as a problem would depend on whether you plan to put it in your radiator or drink it, but it will be limescale-free.

In this context I should have described rainwater as “deionised” or just “purified” rather than “distilled” in an earlier post, so Preunit was right to say rain isn’t strictly “distilled”. The degree of de-ionisation/ purification also becomes important. Brutale r gets into that with conductivity measurements on the “I’m brewing WATER!!!” thread.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices