Ask an Expert security Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > security

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

richardhyde010

Apr 12

security

hey all. i am buying a Suzuki bandit 650 sa k7 this week and i am now looking at security for it ranging from alarms to  immobilizer. stupid question. what is the difference,and which is best, and were would be the best place to pick one up from 

thank you all 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 February 2013 22:41)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

security

Popular subject on here over the years,An immobiliser stops anybody from starting the bike,an alarm is a audible noise which people ignore.Your bike should have a S.A.I.S. (immobiliser) fitted:unsure:.

The above mentioned will not stop anybody nicking your bike,along with disc locks an all.

You need to chain your bike to an immoveable object using the ALMAX  IV and squire padlock,or a security guard with a shotgun or your mother-in-law with a german sheperd.

Remember 2 blokes 1 soundproof van 10 seconds (GONE) without chain.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

aaarrgghhh

BIG chain, and something solid to fix it to. Alarms/immobilisers????  who takes ANY notice, and more trouble than they are worth.... 

Reply to this Topic
bobsnicholson

Aug 02

pray

to the almighty and check the insurance small print.

If the bad boy's want the bike they will have it.

Alarms, imobilisers, chains, locks all ok for peace of mind. 

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Security

Alarms are excellent........ at leaving you with a flat bettery.  And pretty much useless at preventing theft.  

Decent physical security as sugggested by Jaffa is the best way. 

Reply to this Topic
richardhyde010

Apr 12

chain

i already have two chains (one left at work and one at home as there are ever heavy) and i also put a lock on the front tire. but it is just as insurence compains always ask for them and seeing as this is going to be my 1st BIG bike i want to do as much as i can to keep it. i have looked on some websites about my bike and it says thins one has them fitted but according to the trader i am buying ti from it has nothing but data tag, should it have a standard on already (the guy i am talking to does not really no much as me works else were with in the shop but he is the only guy i am able to talk to at that time) 

Thank you 

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Bike theft.

There is an interesting group of articles on bike theft, alarms/immobilisers and trackers in this month's (well, April's) edition of Ride magazine. I'm generally a fan of alarms and I've chased off a yoof who triggered the alarm when trying to wheel the Kawasaki away, but I agree that you should use a good lock and chain as well.

The 12-year-old Datatool on my ZX6 is still working well, as is the Meta on my R1. As the article says, the alarm is always the primary suspect when anything goes wrong but it's often not to blame.

The Ride article includes an example where a stolen KTM was found "abandoned" behind a block of flats and it was assumed that the thieves "couldn't start it or find any other use for it." In fact what happens is thieves leave a vehicle for a few days in case it has a tracker. If it's still where they left it they know it's safe to take it home.

Reply to this Topic
billythekid001

Dec 12

Security chain

Hi Richard,

Any chain or d-lock over 16mm diameter attached to an immovable object is about as good as you can get security-wise.  At this diameter the chain is too big to fit inside the jaws of the biggest portable bolt cutters.  Go for a 'closed shackle' padlock as well as this stops a thief from getting bolt cutters to the weakest part of your padlock.  You can't really protect against angle grinders, disc cutters or thermal lances etc, but these either aren't portable or make loads of noise so the thieves are likely to get disturbed.  In terms of big chains you're looking at Almax, Squire or Mototo.

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

http://www.squirelocks.co.uk/products/padlocks_security_products/locks_chains/locks_chains.html

http://www.mototo.com/mototo-minder-high-security-chain-and-padlock-set

If you've got a garage this 'Alarm Mine' looks awesome.

http://www.airgunspares.com/store/product/5251/Alarm-Mine-12G-Blank-Firer/

Just don't forget to disarm it before you open the door or else you'll need to change your trousers before you go out for a ride!

Billy

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices