Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Luggage General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Luggage

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Luggage

"I need some on-bike luggage, but can't decide what sort to go for. Is a top box best, or panniers? Also, should I get luggage that's properly fitted to the bike, or would throw-over panniers or a Ventura-style rack/bag be the best option?" Your answer could help. The best will be printed in MCN. Got a question? Click here to submit it!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 February 2013 11:23)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

The problem with throwovers is that although they're cheap, they're fiddly to fit every time and you can't leave them on the bike or the stuff in them'll get nicked.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

If the majority of your riding is commuting, then a rucksack and simple throw-over panniers would probably do the job. If you only do long journeys with over night stays then a set of hard luggage would be best ,together with a suitable Bike. If you really are serious about World wide trips then you probably need to watch "The Long Way" series of adventures, Buy a BMW R1200GS with matching Metal boxes "Motorad" Grey Clothing and learn to "Stand on Your Pegs".

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Luggage

If I'm doing long distance travelling over a few days then I go with full hard luggage (Givi wingrack and hard luggage - top box and side boxes). I often keep the wingrack and top box on one of the bikes as its convenient for riding 2 up (pillion back rest and space for 2 helmets when wandering about). I often use that bike for commuting aswell as its convenient for carrying stuff.

I have used throw over panniers in the past and they're ok for touring/ rallying etc but can become dog eared and the stitching can take a bit of a battering. You also need to make sure that everything inside through over panniers is wrapped in waterproof liners etc.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Dry bags and cargo nets.

These days I use dry bags and cargo nets. They're light, tough, waterproof and they sit securely on the seat or rack. I group items into draw-string bags before packing them inside.

I also use a brilliant Deuter Futura 28 Litre rucsac.

Snev, didn't Ewan and Thingy have a support convoy and a helicopter?

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

James

Well I think Ewan had a light sabre.... But as for Thingy..... erm not sure. If they did actually have a chopper, then why take bikes? summit don't add up.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Luggage??

Change of pants and a credit card. trust me its all you need!:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
Tim158

Mar 09

Tim158 says:

Hard

I recently bought a set of Givi luggage. Well, the boxes were individually from ebay, not all in brilliant condition but I bought a set of matching locks for them and they do a good job. The expensive part was the rack, nearly 200 squid I spent on that! I also have a couple of Aldi/Lidl tank bags which are good but I haven't worked out how to attach the strap on this bike and I'm not sure what the magnets are up to.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Tim, the magnets are fine on the Lidl B-Square tank bags

I used to reliously strap the thing on, but it's really not needed.  Even with the thing absolutely chocka and in strong sidewinds at "motorway" speeds, it's never shifted so much as a barleycorn.  And no straps means you can just peel if off the tank for fuel stops.

Reply to this Topic
mark0711

Mar 11

mark0711 says:

Luggage

I have a set of Oxford First soft panniers on my Yamaha YZF R125 for over 2 years , and used them everyday on my commute back and too to work and they are this in a good condition to use today 5 years on

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Hmmm.... Roger?

"I used to religiously strap the thing on" well that explains yer name then...

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices