Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Luggage General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Luggage

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Luggage

"I need some on-bike luggage, but can't decide what sort to go for. Is a top box best, or panniers? Also, should I get luggage that's properly fitted to the bike, or would throw-over panniers or a Ventura-style rack/bag be the best option?" Your answer could help. The best will be printed in MCN. Got a question? Click here to submit it!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 February 2013 11:23)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Built In

Buy a Honda Dullsville so you have built-in locking panniers that do not make the bike wider.

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

Depends

I've got some Krauser hard-luggage that is solid, waterpoof and tough.  The rack is also not too ugly when the luggage is off.

A top box is always handy for locking away lids etc (good as a pillion back rest too).  You can always start with a top-box and add hard luggage later.  Hard luggage is less likely to flop about and is more secure, but might not hold as much and will cost more.

I guess it's really down to what you'll be doing.  Just you going away for a weekend, or epic trans-continental journeys?

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

Sw-Motech TRAXX with quick-release rack. Other then the locks that kind of suck, the cases themselves are brilliantly built and look very sturdy. And it only takes about 1 minute to remove both racks from the bike when you don't need them.

Reply to this Topic
rcraven

Nov 08

rcraven says:

luggage

Whatever you do try to remember first that your bike has a maximum kerb weight and full loaded you might be exceeding that, thus possibly making your bike more dangerous.  increasing tyre pressure is obviously necessary when fully loaded.Check spokes if you have them to make sure they are tight and correct. a friend of mine had a spoke wheel collapse on him and his missus.   he should have sent his missus by coach.

Alterations of spring suspension will probably be required also so you might have to aletr the usual set up you have for power riding [ thats anything over 70 mph]

Try and keep the weight between the triangle made of the two axles front and back and the top of your helmet.  This usually doesnt include some rear boxes and side panniers unless the bike may be made with them or  for them as in a sports tourer. a standard bike frame is somewhat different and will be  lighter  and therefore soft luggage carriers may be the thing.

Do not overload any  backpack as that is going to hurt, after a few miles. try putting everyday things in a tank bag so the are easire to get at and move around durimng the day.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices