Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

alnight91

Jul 11

alnight91 says:

sv650 wont start

Hi all,

I have a 2010 sv650 which has done 25000 commuting miles which has decided to stop working!

The story:

I initially released something was wrong when I hopped on it after work and it wouldnt start. After some cursing turning it off and on again (by key and killswitch) it burst into life.

The problem then went away.... then xmas eve i had the same problem when I went to leave for work yet got it started after some jiggery pokery. When I stopped for fuel midway on my journey it would not start no matter what I did. After some cursing and shaking it about while pressing the ignition switch it burst into life!

I then took the bike home after work and had a look at the starter motor connectors and battery conectors cleaning them up and fitting them back tightly. When I started the bike first time it burst into life. Turned it of and on again a few times and was happy it was working.

A few days later I got back onto the bike and it wouldnt start no mater what I did.

The symptoms:

Placing the key into the ignition and turning it on: front lights on, display on and fuel pump audibly turns on.
Thumbing the on switch with clutch engaged neutral light on killswitch off front brake on side stand up: lights dim and no sound of the bike even attempting to turn over.

Any ideas what it could be? Read other places that fuses go etc yet why would it only work if I shook it initially then not at all?

regards,

Al

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 February 2013 12:40)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki SV650 2010

Hi Alnight91

I think this sounds like a poor electric connection(as what i think you have already thought?)You may have a faulty starter relay or corrosion in the low tension wiring block to it?(did you strip and clean this)If the bike is left outside in the rain there could be corrosion in the bottom of the ignition switch.There could also be a problem with the starter switch gear with your bike being lights on permanently,spray with WD 40 or something similar if that works it could only be short term and may need replacing?,also check the side stand switch(just make a permanent connection to test it),if its good put it back to std.Take the stop switch,switch gear off and check the soldered connections and the plug connector into the loom. Good Luck

KCMC:tongue: 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices