Skip to content

Discuss This £1.2 million ‘Think Bike’ campaign this spring General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > £1.2 million ‘Think Bike’ campaign this spring

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

£1.2 million ‘Think Bike’ campaign this spring

Drivers will be told to look out for bikes in a £1.2mllion government campaign this spring.  The ‘Think bike’ campaign will run from March to April, to coincide with many riders returning to the roads after winter.  The Department for Transport plans to spend more on the initiative than almost any other road safety campaign this year. Funding of £1.275million...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (07 February 2013 11:08)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
moany100

Apr 11

moany100 says:

Education

That's what is needed by both drivers and riders i drive a van and ride a bike and some things need to work both ways.

!. Drivers must use mirrors

2. Riders don't ride with main beam on you only dazzle others making you less visible

3.Drivers remember hov vunerable bikers are

4.Riders when a vehicle has stopped to let another vehicle change lane use your brain don't fill the gap ride around the obsticle the other way.

5.Drivers move to either side as to not hinder a bikers progress just because you're stopped they don't have to

6. riders don't filter at 50mph do it at a speed that you can stop from if driver moves out on you

There's probably plenty more to add but these seem to be the most common i come across

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

sticker up

We can all moan about any government campaign and the amount they spend on it, but lets grab anything we can. I have a ‘Think Bike’ sticker in the van (you can still pick them up free from many bike dealers). If all it does is remind drivers each day that we exist and if that saves a couple of bikers-down each year, then that’s a positive I’ll take. Next time you see a sticker get one and bung it in your car window. http://think.direct.gov.uk/motorcycles.html and yes the SMIDSY’s wont see the stickers, like they don’t see our bikes, for them we must be patient and let Darwin do his work!

Reply to this Topic
clarkson2197fsworldcouk

Feb 04

Dont be fooled

I would guess About £1.19 Million will be spent on police campaigns against bikers and on extra speed traps and road side checks and  the like

Don't fall for the spin

Reply to this Topic
deaks25

Apr 09

deaks25 says:

@moany100 Amen to that!

Consideration works both ways. If we are going to expect & demand drivers be more considerate, we have to make ourselves visibile & not act like idiots. I see plenty of bikes that are asking for an accident, we're not completely faultless.

Reply to this Topic
Ridefree

Jun 08

Ridefree says:

"The group’s director of policy, Neil Greig, said: “The successful drink driving and biker campaigns have raised awareness of these issues and they both appear to be working."

So he says, pity that he couldn't give the stats. to illustrate that!

The peoplw who SMIDSY and those that drink and drive, don't take any notice of the adverts because they beleve that they are doing nothing wrong! 

Lots of people don't look before pulling out, or changing drection because they regard themselves as more important than you, and an Engllishman's home is his castle. Anyone who needs a nicy nicy advert to explain what they are doing is wrong, is not going to get the message.

Custodial sentence for drink driving and driving (or riding) that endangers others, please. Make room in our prisons by releasing those not a danger to the public, from prison, and give them  a community based sentence.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Nice suggestion, Room101

But I make people "Think Bike" by riding mine pretty much every day of the year. When you blow the cobwebs off of yours in March or April, you're welcome.

Reply to this Topic
wak1309

Jun 10

wak1309 says:

E- Must try harder

Reading this prompted me to get on the Govt website and get a couple of new stickers (changed car recently)......

Out of Stock!!! WTF??

http://shop.dft.gov.uk/THINKShop/Product.aspx?ProductID=04cc108e-573c-43b8-bb46-21b1d27294d8

Some Campaign?

Report to detention after school Mr Cameron!!

Report for detention Cameron!

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

same here Roger

I’m also a year-round all weathers biker. Maybe we need the stickers as car drivers aren’t expecting bikes anymore - except on sunny bank holidays : - ( maybe some bikers need to put a sticker on their fridge door, to remind them what they have in their man-cave? : - O

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices