You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > bus lanes

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

bus lanes

i keep hearing conflicting views on wether a motorcycle can use them, whats the actual law ?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (07 February 2013 13:17)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

depends

Depends on the local council. Some let you use "no-car lanes" and "bus-lanes", others don't let you use any at all unless the signage states it's ok. Check with local council if in doubt. Where abouts are you based?

Reply to this Topic
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

hi mate im in bournemouth and poole area.

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

According to dorset4you.com

as of April 2011;
"As this policy is being written, there are no specific traffic management measures catering for 
motorcycles.  As far as Traffic Regulation Orders are concerned, motorcycles are treated as cars 
although exceptions are made for buses and cycles.  One area, however, is an exception.  
Weymouth & Portland BC permits motorcycles in their bus lanes and have proposed similar 
exemptions in future additional bus lanes"
[PDF]

I'd recommend you ring up the council or send an e-mail asking for an update on the matter. I think as a general rule of thumb (if in doubt), "no car lanes" are available for motorbikes at any time, "bus lanes" are only available to motorbikes out of the specified hours unless there's a sign explicitly stating motorbikes can use them.

Hope that helps :-)

Reply to this Topic
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

Thanks

i cant believe my instructor said i was to use the bus lane if there was no obstruction, i questioned him and said there was no sign saying bikes, unbelieveable, he is based in portsmouth though and i wonder if he realises that its down to the councils.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

In Reading

you can use some of the bus lanes but not all, as the zand man says, check the signage.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Bus lanes

I'd send an actual, real letter to enquire, so you get a reply in writing.  Then you can show it to some pig that might want to hassle you.

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

As an added bonus

you could always pop in to your local police station and ask for their advice (and get them to just write it down for you for your records) if you want something to carry around with you.

It is, however, a matter for the councils & not the coppers so that may not be very fruitful.

As preunit posted, check for signs similar to that. If there's a motorbike symbol in a square sign, you're allowed to do it, if it's in a circle, you're not!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle