Skip to content

Discuss This S.M.I.D.S.Y General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > S.M.I.D.S.Y

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Karina  says:

S.M.I.D.S.Y

A very good friend of mine was killed on his motorcycle last year due to a van driver, using his mobile phone. The driver got 3 points and a fine, even though the investigation proved the guy was using his phone - so not driving with due care and attention. This by our very own laws is an offense! I have set up a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (07 February 2013 15:00)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fivebyfive

Aug 06

fivebyfive says:

Signed

Done.

Reply to this Topic
fivebyfive

Aug 06

fivebyfive says:

Collette Carpenter

here is a typical example of how the failing CPS acts against the victim: Death crash policewoman escapes prosecution for being on mobile phone... because it was on her lap. Collette Carpenter had phone on loud speaker in her lap at time of collision Motorcyclist David Bartholomew died after colliding with the side of her car see http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2278048/Collette-Carpenter-Death-crash-policewoman-escapes-prosecution-mobile-phone--lap.html

Reply to this Topic
rcraven

Nov 08

rcraven says:

MOBILE PHONE.

Can anyone tell me basically what is the difference to conversing with a passenger in the back seat or front or listening on the radio and perhaps singing along or the sat nav and listening to its instructions possibly looking at ghe screen at the same time...............and having a conversation on  a  mobile phone that is not in hand but on speaker.

They all seem to me to take away the concentration of a driver from the actual task of driving.and could all be responsible for a lapse in the drivers concentration that could lead to injury or death.

We are also to blame, well  the manufacturers are in that we can get all sorts of Apps in our helmets. whether its sat nav or music or phone.  surely they are all the same.....dangerous.[ and we should know better.]

Reply to this Topic
brucerobinson

Aug 02

Signed

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Why don't the CPS prosecute

The law is already in place. Causing death by careless driving has been on the books for a few years now, theoretically, with custodial sentences:

So, why is it (a) not often prosecuted and (b) when it is prosecuted, usually treated as momentary inattention or such, with more trivial community service sentences?

As to "why is a phone call different?" - because human nature has us prioritise differently when dealing with someone that we know isn't aware of our circumstance. We know that if we just stop talking to someone in a car, to concentrate on matters at hand, they'll probably understand, after all, they are there and can see what's going on. Not so if they're on the phone - the live event and remote person compete for our attention, potentially with appalling consequences. I believe with discipline a hands free phone call probably can be correctly prioritised as the lowest of the low, just as with skill we can actually actively scan and avoid our vision's natural limitations, BUT, most folk won't manage either.

Phone calls will cost lives. Not scanning will cause SMIDSYs too. Surely these are examples of quite serious carelessness, so why don't the police investigate and the CPS prosecute to the fullest extent of the law?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Krina

Jun 13

Krina says:

Replying..to rcraven

In this case, I would say the difference is, conversing, singing etc you still have both hands on the wheel? Or should have.. whilst trying to text, or dial a number is patently far worse for taking your eyes off the road, than singing to your radio, or talking to a passenger..?

My friend was killed because he was using a hand held fone, not listening to it thru a speaker..

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices