Skip to content

Discuss This Ben Spies plays safe in Sepang MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ben Spies plays safe in Sepang

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ben Spies plays safe in Sepang

Ben Spies opted not to ride on the final day of his long awaited Ducati debut in Sepang while he continues a long and gruelling recovery from major right shoulder surgery. The Texan arrived in Malaysia having been out of action since he badly damaged his right shoulder in a crash during a rain-hit race at Sepang back in October. Major winter...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 February 2013 09:19)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
R6nutter6

Jan 04

R6nutter6 says:

Eddy998says

I'm not a Spies fanatic but at least he will push the Desmo which is a lot more than can be said about Flossi. Everything he has done has set back Ducati 2 years!!

Spies : What, like he pushed the Yam in the last two years and was more successful than Rossi?? (It was his old bike he was riding).

Ducati : The failure at Ducati is Ducati's fault, nobody elses. It's the engineers that develop the bike from rider feedback. Stoner/Capirossi/Hayden/Melandri and Rossi etc have all told them it is crap (vague front end)and only one rider could ride round the problem at certain tracks. The failure of Ducati is no good for the brand or the sport. I would love to see dukes battling up the front instead of struggling to beat CRT's. Even Abraham dumped the duke in favour of a CRT.

Unless Audi start to kick arse there, I can't see things changing for the better, which is a shame.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

Lets get one thing clear shall we?

Spies wasnt unlucky. He finished the first 9 races of last season ,and five of those were outside the top ten. This was on the bike that won the title remember??? Spies was found out last year, didnt make the cut, not good enough overated by far too many. Dovi AND Crutchlow out performed him all season ,alot faster than him and proving there was nothing wrong with the bike. This isnt some proven champion we're talking about on this thread, he was given a short at a top seat and couldnt handle it.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Hello Mort..Actually, Ben is 3 seconds off the pace and slowest Ducati.

You'd expect him to close that gap given a shoulder injury that seems to be taking an awful long time to heal, but Iannone isn't gonna get any slower, and I'm not sure he'll be better than 4th best Ducati in the final standings?

Nostro..remind me where we're measuring this 50mm from again? Sounds to me like you think the steering stem tube was moving 2 inches idependently, which is not what old wosi meant. There were reports of rubber on the front cylinder head which poked through the radiators though.

Reply to this Topic
DogBert

Jan 13

DogBert says:

Is Spies simple?

And I guess by extension, is Nostro simple?

Interesting comments by Spies "it's nothing like I've read".

Yeah? No shit!

but we never went through the corners at a rate where I was nervous or pushing the bike to its limits.

Well, from what I've read Speezy, that's where all the feckin' problems are you dolt.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

It's not what old Wosi meant

Only following a lot of snivelling backtracking after Nostro pointed out the damn fool naive nature of his comment. But of course I cannot extract said thread to yet again paint Wosi as laughing stock because in a pique of tanty ranting he had his previous profile wiped. More rebound damping required in your la-z-boy Wosi,or less pies.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

My aren't you a nippy new terrier dogberk

Or are you yet another of the tragic wee re-inventors of their profiles? Get too much of a kicking last time, had to start again? As stated Dovi and Spies have two years of chaotic Rossi led de-development to unwind. Bologna won't be rebuilt in three days.

Reply to this Topic
DogBert

Jan 13

DogBert says:

Grrrrrrrrrrr!

I guess this will be the stick you'll use to beat Valentino with for the next two years, as Ducati flounder. Two years of chaotic development. It's all you've got left after losing your other sticks. What were they again? The bar was raised beyond him, and he'd reached his talent ceiling. Doesn't look to be the case does it? He's in the mix in testing, but always ups his game for the races, where it counts.

"There's too short a time between now and then, so it's difficult to do something big in this time. 

“We still have to decide which parts we can bring to the second test. Unfortunately, we need time to try something big.”

Oh dear. Dovi's had that same realisation that Vale had two years ago. Anyway, are these the parts that Rossi tried, decided they didn't make enough of a change and discarded. This is very odd. You'd think after two years of two World Champions telling you the same thing you'd have an idea where to go.

So what's going on? Will the penny drop finally when they realise Dovi's telling them the same things they've been hearing for years? Are they waiting for Ben to take a deep breath, close his eyes and ride the damn thing fast before they act? They might be waiting a while. Poor guy's too fragile at this level.

Could it be the real reason for reusing the old parts is that Audi isn't giving Ducati any money? Seems they can't even scrape together enough to go testing in Texas. Spies will get to ride a Panigale round the new track though. Wow, such commitment from the new owners.

Worrying times if you ask me.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

That's a lot of yapping Dogberk

It would be very odd for Audi to buy into the prestige of MotoGP and then simply sit back and watch. Ducati's success at retail level has in a very large way been built on their success on track. The VW group must know this and be keen to right the listing ship of Corse. Whilst I agree it's a little strange they're not going to Texas I doubt the conspiracy of money ultimately being behind it. Unless of course Audi have just discovered how much debt Rossi ran up at Corse without any results worth mentioning.

Are they waiting for Ben to take a deep breath, close his eyes and ride the damn thing fast before they act?

I like this line of yours. You do know of course that's exactly what a very desperate to post a time Rossi did at Sepang nr.1? Lorenzo (let alone Pedrosa) would kill him in a race right now. Rossi has said as much.

Always have been a bit prematurely cocky without much to back themselves with have Terriers.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Reverse Engineering..

Aah..but you do have your response and we can therefore deduce the nub.

If I remember right, we talked about the reasons Ducati made the swap to CF when to most fans it seemed a bit of a mystery given the results..and still is judging by the amount of calls to go backwards and re-visit old theories.

We broached the inconsistency of the welds, cooling and airbox restriction, but the main thing was the deflection of the front subframe, which under the huge forces of braking wasn't strong enough to keep the front wheel planted where it should be.

We talked about about vertical, lateral and torsional flex in frames, engineering in controlled flex and how the vertical axis on the Ducati was too weak..the reason the front tyre kissed the cylinder head, which at that time poked through the split rads - a design admission from Bologna that they had problems.

Wosi had talked to people and read a report that deflection in tests, had been measured at up to 50mm at the steering stem tube..the point at which all the massive braking forces were leveraged on the tubular front subframe.

Nostro laughed and tried to take the piss - in typical fashion - to score internet points and presumably kudos.

He did this by normal back-flipping, ignoring the dicussion, focussing on the 50mm movement wosi had said and painted a picture of the steering stem/headstock twisting downwards on its own..as if the rest of the subframe had not deflected at all.

Now trot on Pal and start trawling those archives. Let's pick this discussion up and add-on your reasons for a return to the CF concept and examine the Aluminim Beam frame too..which everybody else in the racing world uses, but Nostro and his merry band of fuckos insist is Rossi's dumb arse idea that Dovi & Spies will have to Reverse Engineer this year, thereby providing a convenient excuse for what is bound to be the season from Hell for them. 

Reply to this Topic
DogBert

Jan 13

DogBert says:

They ALL put a fast one

More Rossi bashing again. All the other riders were working on setup, but Rossi's lap was a desperate attempt to mask his failings? When you going to give it up? Pedrosa was the one who went out and put a marker down then packed up before lunch.

And now you're picking on a defenseless little pooch. Actually that boy had plenty to back himself up with, and a never give up attitude. Bit like Rossi eh?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices