Skip to content

Discuss This Michael Laverty makes stunning MotoGP debut in Sepang MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Michael Laverty makes stunning MotoGP debut in Sepang

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Michael Laverty makes stunning MotoGP debut in Sepang

Few people would have given Michael Laverty a prayer of finishing third fastest CRT rider ahead of this week’s three-day MotoGP test at the long and technical Sepang track. Yet the Irish rider produced one of the big surprises of the first major test of 2013 when he rode the Paul Bird Motorsport Aprilia ART machine to a best lap of...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 February 2013 09:27)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Good solid performance from Laverty !  

Is it likely though that any CRT rider would get the chance to ride a factory Honda or Yam or even a satellite bike  as the natural feeder class seems to be exclusively from Moto2. CRT looks like a clearing house for declining MotoGP stars and a second tier championship for MotoGP wannabees.

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Summed up beautifully Saturn..

..therein lies Dorna's fundamental problem with the CRT class. It's highly unlikely they will ever reach the heady heights of the factory machines unless the whole championship is dumbed down, and then of course what do you have left? Having said that, Laverty was the ride of the test for me, particularly as I didn't give him a chance prior to Sepang! Sorry mate!..

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

CHR

I get this horrible feeling that the dumbing down is an ever increasing probability - it's pointless running this 2 tier championship with the performance levels so far apart. It's unlikely that CRT's will ever be enhanced to the level of the factory machines so the alternative is to dumb down the factory machines (not really an acceptable option).

It's also probable that the WSB factory bikes are closer to the MotoGP times than the CRT's. and as Dorna now control both I can visualise some sort of merger in the future to the detritment of both championships and to the detriment of fans.

Reply to this Topic
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

Laverty

Has done well, he's a gritty rider like his bro' but all the crt's are on a hiding to nowhere. I'm glad Shakey had the sense to stay away, he's now got a good chance of another BSB title, which is a lot better than running around on a crt. The question I ask myself again this year is, what the hell is Colin Edwards doing in it, he should have been back in WSB a long time ago, he's looking a bit of a joke now. 

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

A fine performance by Laverty indeed

It sounds like the ART's are very rideable packages. I dare say Laverty is pleading with Bird to keep this chassis.

CRT's will not exist next year with the possible exception of two 'factory' ART's.  HRC have 5 of their RCV Proddie racers coming, and I presume Yamaha a similar number of the prototype engines to lease. It's a no brainer as to their choice of these or souped up road bike engines.

I really hope Aprilia develop a proper MotoGP engine without the road bike compromises just to see how much closer to the pukka prototypes they can edge. 24 litres vs 20 in 2014 remember.

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

The thing is Nostro

will the leased engines in privateer chassis be any more competitive than the current CRT's     one would have to hope so.   If we're still going to have a 2 tier championship what is the benefit to MotoGP apart from grid-filling which is what the current CRT's are there for.  Even if they close the gap by one second it will still be a   'them and us' situation.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Talent

will always be the biggest determining factor Saturn. Look at the mockery Marquez made of the CBR600 cup.

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Quit so

talent of the calibre of Marc Marquez is quite rare though and anyone showing that degree of talent will be by-passing the hybrids straight from Moto2 to a factory team.  CRT is not producing any outstanding talent so why would a hybrid with a proddie engine prove any better. The 'special' rider will be spotted in Moto3   closely monitored in Moto2   and transferred directly to the factory prototypes.     What is needed is another couple of factory's coming in with competitive packages.  Suzuki hopefully,  possibly Aprilia  and whatever happened to the BMW effort.

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

meant to say Quite So

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Dumbing Down?

An interesting turn of phrase..

What exactly does it mean?

The bikes are dumbed down, with less electronic aids, so the riders have to be smarter to ride them?

or..

The bikes stay as computer controlled, ride-by-wire rolling R&D test labs, that allow dumbed down riders to compete more equally?

Personally..I hope the MSMA's proddy racers get spanked and nobody bothers spending a bean with the megalomaniac bastards..

Change the GP rules and make everything open..Weight, Fuel, Tyres, Capacity & Engines..but make 'em run throttle cables.

If they want to run fancy RBW electronics costing the earth - that are supposed to be street useful but nobody needs/uses/wants - run the junk in WSB but with homologated hard and software.

Limited fuel racing is abnormal and fked up.

Good effort by Laverty btw..Imagine if the cream of British riders were to have a go?

We must be the strongest racing nation on the planet right now..all things being equal?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices