You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > zx12R running hot

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

johnzx12

Feb 13

johnzx12 says:

zx12R running hot

hi guys i recently bought a 2004 zx12 its my first kawa ive noticed in slow moving traffic the temp gauge goes way above the half way mark before the fans kick in and struggle to bring the temp back down . is this how kawasaki set the zx12 to run or do i have a faulty thermostat or something . cheers

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 February 2013 19:57)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

zx12

Don't know about your bike, but I have a ZZR1200, and that never seems to go much above half way up the gauge before the fans start up. Check your coolant levels, in the rad AND the header tank, run it up in the garage, and check that the top hose heats up before the fans cut in,-- to check if the thermostat is opening.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

running hot

Welcome John,I` m thinking of a weak mixture at low speeds,is your bike standard as in air filter/exhaust system?

Also are there any more problems like hesitation or spitting back or coughing?

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi John

given the age of the bike it maay just be that the cooling system was never really looked after, serviced.

It would be a good starting place to drain, flush and refill with new bike specific coolant. don't forget to flush the system in both directions.

It may pay you whilst the system is drained to fit a new thermostat and also replace the pressure cap.

Reply to this Topic
johnzx12

Feb 13

johnzx12 says:

re jaffa

hi jaffa its got a scorpian titanium end can with removable baffle havnt looked at the air filter yet . it seems to be ok on a run but if your running slow or sitting for a while thats when the temp needle goes up she seems to run ok nothing that you mentioned ive watched  her heating up in the garage and the needle goes above half way before the fans are kicking in i think i will flush the system change the thermostat and a new pressure cap also the radiator is a bit blocked with muck thrown up from the wheel not much but im going to try and clear it to and fit a fender extender to stop that happening going to try and speak to other zx12 owners and see if its a common thing with them i know the first zx12s came with one fan then they changed it to two fans so it makes me think its been a problem on early zx12s cheers

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

service

If no joy with the coolant service i suggest you have a gas analyzer done at low revs.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices