Skip to content

General Scotland trip - midges? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Scotland trip - midges?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Scotland trip - midges?

Comrades -

Planning a spin up to Scotland,  and wondered what was the best time of year to avoid the midges.   They were bad enough in camping trips in the car, and that was during May and June. 

But I imagine they play buggery in your leathers, inside your helmet and so on, particularly if you need to allow some air in when it gets warm.

Do they let up a bit towards the end of Summer, or get worse then?   In short, when's the best time for a tour?

Thanks!

:sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 February 2013 01:02)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

SL

The midges in scotland are as nails as the humans...I reckon even minus ten the buggers will want yer blood :winkie:Worth it though, them jocks are a friendly bunch. I called in to a pub asking for directions once in kirkcaldy, got out 5 hours later after playing a darts, pool and cribbage tournament and enjoying whisky and irn-bru :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

CJ:

hey there...  never doubted the welcome of the Scots.  Strangely enough, never met a Scot or an Irishman I didn't get on with.   But maybe not being English helps :lol:

But is there a best time of year to avoid the bastards (the midges, that is, not the English)?    I was hoping one of our Scottish comrades might know.  But then, would they tell the truth?  They keep pretty quiet about the very existence of their wretched midges!

Reply to this Topic
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

Haha

They are witty bunch who would probably steer you towards the midgey season. If i'm honest I would do the same. We gave them poll tax first and depict them as ginger headed drunkards. Maybe drinking scotch deters midges, or use it as an emollient? This should repel the midges and attract a flame haired scot :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

"witty bunch"

A "witty bunch"?    Oh aye.  When visiting with a mate a few years ago, the pub we were having a nice booze-up in was closing.   Wondering where to go next, a Scottish lady said, with a straight face, "Och, if it's the lasses you're after, you want to go to the 'Bottom's Up' bar", and gave us directions.

After several minutes of being chatted up, with not one female in the entire place at 'Bottoms Up', we started to really appreciate the Scottish sense of humour.

Reply to this Topic
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

hope you took it on the chin

and nowhere else! :winkie: If your ever in kirkcaldy go to the 'elbow room' proper pub, dart board, pool table etc, none of this pretentious food crap. Trying to find a pub in durham with a pool table and a good old fashoined bar is like to trying knit fog :mad:

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

I believe

knitting fog using 3mm needles or less, will keep those midges at bay :unsure:  

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Oh cj

if you ever find yourself lost and end up in Reading (god forbid) then you'll like this place, "The Hobgoblin" Tis packed with real ales plus they'll throw you out for using your mobile :smile, not cheap mind.

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

We`re

Going to Scotland on the bikes at the back end of May this year...  fingers crossed the little feckers haven't got to swarm proportions.   and i certainly ain't camping.I don't seem to get bitten by midges but they love Mr H poor bugger...  lol :lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

September

Maybe not midge free, but certainly midge less.:sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
dave_c

Aug 06

dave_c says:

SL

The midges are basically around during the summer, but less so at either end, which is why I thought you'd be okay in May, but you say you've had bother at that time before.

They're not a constant problem because if there's a breeze you'll probably not get bothered by them - and bear in mind that the British Isles are the windiest area in Europe...

Keep a note of this website, you might find it useful!

www.midgeforecast.co.uk

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices