Skip to content

General Scotland trip - midges? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Scotland trip - midges?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Scotland trip - midges?

Comrades -

Planning a spin up to Scotland,  and wondered what was the best time of year to avoid the midges.   They were bad enough in camping trips in the car, and that was during May and June. 

But I imagine they play buggery in your leathers, inside your helmet and so on, particularly if you need to allow some air in when it gets warm.

Do they let up a bit towards the end of Summer, or get worse then?   In short, when's the best time for a tour?

Thanks!

:sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 February 2013 01:02)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

the best advise i can give

is buy a couple of bottles of skin so soft off of the avon girl....................those wee buggers wont bother you with that on.....................many a camping trip saved with that stuff:wink:

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Huh...

"When is the best time to avoid ..Minge" ?:shock:

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

ditto what ally

said, something the Army use, despite it sounding a bit odd........Camped at Loch Lomond a few years back, wished i'd have known that then!!!! :upset:.:upset:......I did use midge repelant when I was invited on night time moth trapping (more interesting than you might think..)....and I was not popular, 'cos it kind of puts the said moths off too....oops! 

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Steve...

Moth trapping... ???? Is that the same as watching paint dry.?:lol::lol: :lol:

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

mrsh....

philestine!.:tongue:..i know, i know, very nerdy.....but get a few of these flapping around your head in the dark..:unsure:....

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

and one of fav

'daytime' moths....

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

The

last moth looks just like a humming bird,beautiful.The thought of moths buzzing around my head let alone getting tangled up in my hair would have me screaming like a big girl...   :ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

SlowLearner

AS others have said, unfortunately the midge season mirrors the biking season up here May to Sept. (i'm sure there are probably some 'real midges' who claim to fly all year round and look down on the 'fair-weather' midges.:tongue:.)

The worst months are usually June, July & August. so May is probably a good time to come (quite often May can be the best month for weather too). The 'Skin So Soft' stuff from Avon is a good tip (at the Carbeth they used to always have some on hand for folk sitting outside in the evenings... quite amusing seeing all the rufty tufty bikers slathering themselves with Avon 'Skin So Soft' lotion :tongue: - bear in mind it's not a 'cure' ..if the midges are out in force you will still get bitten... but not quite so much:winkie:) Smoking a fag also helps, but taking up smoking probably isn't the best of remedies!

To be fair the midges don't come out if there is a breeze and they don't like sunshine..... I have never been troubled by them whilst out riding ...the problem comes if you stop and sit outside at dusk in the evenings...even then it can vary from spot to spot ...depending on how close you are to water. You can be plagued at one place ...but a few miles down the road be fine.:winkie: 

Don't forget if you are up here anywhere near Glasgow on a Sunday (or north west of Glasgow) we are out riding most weeks, so feel free to join us for a day's fun..:winkie:...or just to meet up if you prefer. We are normally out around Callander / Tyndrum / Glen Coe / Inveraray / Lochgilphead (Same goes for you and Mr H too, Mrs. H:winkie:)

Cheers

Kam       

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
dave_c

Aug 06

dave_c says:

Steve

I NEVER leave a light on and a window open on summer evenings in case any of your 'friends' come inside! :shock:

Reply to this Topic
importrider

Nov 04

importrider says:

SL

midges are around most of the time as Dave C says but most common as the day cools down towards evening

during the day their not bad and even better if your on the move as you will kill most of them as you fly along.

apparently oh so soft moisturiser works well but i find chain smoking and standing next to a diabetic works just as well.

enjoy your trip.:smile

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices