Skip to content

General Scotland trip - midges? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Scotland trip - midges?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Scotland trip - midges?

Comrades -

Planning a spin up to Scotland,  and wondered what was the best time of year to avoid the midges.   They were bad enough in camping trips in the car, and that was during May and June. 

But I imagine they play buggery in your leathers, inside your helmet and so on, particularly if you need to allow some air in when it gets warm.

Do they let up a bit towards the end of Summer, or get worse then?   In short, when's the best time for a tour?

Thanks!

:sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 February 2013 01:02)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

midges

hey slowlearner , we are going up Scotland the 3rd week in may , we went 2 years ago at the same time and midges were not too much of a problem , as has been said the avon stuff is good also we had some jos-stick type things when we were chilling outside our digs.

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

dave...

I NEVER leave a light on and a window open on summer evenings in case any of your 'friends' come inside......ha ha, sounds like my oldest, a strapping 22year old who screams like a baby if a moth comes near him, had one in the car recently when he was driving!...:blink::shock:

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

or

if your camping get 12 ft of hose and breath through that...............put the other end of the hose in someone elses tent and have a giggle listening to your neighbour slap himself stupid all night........................a right laugh if there is a few of you doing it to the first one of your party that passes out:wink::lol: 

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Oh Midges...

:mad:I shared a tent with about 65 billion of the things last year at Snowden.:mad:

Reply to this Topic
frazmataz

Jan 11

frazmataz says:

Skin so Soft

I'm pretty sure they sell some at the Green Welly. :wink:

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Kam..

With a bit of luck we will catch ya this year.....

Looking forward to a bit of this...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:  

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Midgies

Get some Avon skin so soft. The SAS swear by it.

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

stevebaldy,

I may not recover from the shock of that monster. I, too, scream like a girl if one of those flappy bastards comes near me.

We have swarms of hummingbird hawk moths here in the summer. I always plant a few of those mini size petunias for them to enjoy.

We also have midges most of the year round. The chemist in New Romney was still selling Quinine in the 1960's, which was meant to deter them. I never sit outside in the evenings. They can even bite through clothing and I seem to taste pretty good. A mosquito net is the best defence on warm nights, or you are constsntly woken up by the horrid things stabbing away at any uncovered skin. I have not yet discovered a deterrent.

Reply to this Topic
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

aehewitt

'With a bit of luck we will catch ya this year.....'

Look forward to it.

Good pics ..is that last one of morris taken on the A85 between Tyndrum and Dalmally by any chance? ...it looks familiar.....and one of our favourite set of curves.:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

the big mistake...

you are making is actually 'planning' a trip to Scotland. The best way to do it is watch Country file, and when they say it's 'going to be gorgeous all next week in Scotland', you drop whatever you are doing and go.....of course you might have to wait a year or two.:sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices