Skip to content

General Scotland trip - midges? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Scotland trip - midges?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Scotland trip - midges?

Comrades -

Planning a spin up to Scotland,  and wondered what was the best time of year to avoid the midges.   They were bad enough in camping trips in the car, and that was during May and June. 

But I imagine they play buggery in your leathers, inside your helmet and so on, particularly if you need to allow some air in when it gets warm.

Do they let up a bit towards the end of Summer, or get worse then?   In short, when's the best time for a tour?

Thanks!

:sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 February 2013 01:02)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

I have a cunning plan...

Ive booked 2 weeks off for visiting Scotland and Wales.If the weathers looking iffy in May we will swap weeks...and go later in the year....  I don't mind the rain it just makes Scotland look even more stunning.Just as long as it doesn't snow like last year.. and it was freaking cold..:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

Scotland...

and Wales, Mrs Hewitt.... not giving yourself much of a chance of 'two glorious weeks' there are you?:biggrin:. I know the rain isn't everything, but when you know how great both them Countries are for bikes on Sunny,warm days,it's a real pisser when you look out in the morning and see yourself below the cloud cover.:upset:

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Oldish

Not back to back holidays...  i have to plan my holidays so far in advance its silly...   i carnt drop and go so it is a bit of a gamble..... 

Reply to this Topic
Jeni4

Sep 08

Jeni4 says:

Midges

What midges? :tongue:

'Care to go out for a bite?' by Farris, Joseph

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MadKwakaMax

Mar 06

MadKwakaMax says:

as the

others have said Skin so soft helps ,but I go before the end of May and after the start/mid of Sept and, touch wood ,have had no problems other than a crusty visor .So just take something to clean it with whilst you're out and about .

As for the weather I've had some corking and some real miserable in those weeks ,so if you can go ad-hoc you stand a fairer chance .

And don't swipe your glove across your dirty visor like I did in my early biking days:wacko:!

Max x

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Avon

Skin So Soft - 'Woodland Fresh' apparently.

either that or take up cigar smoking :blink:

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Thanks for all the replies here!

Comrades -

Some great information on these midges, thanks a lot.   Will get the misses to read through it all too.  Was away for the weekend, hoped to get a couple of answers, but I'm still reading through them all!

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

OI Preunit - NO!!!!

Find yourself in Reading ! One should be so lucky.

The HG was the pub we used to use on a Saturday lunchtime when I was a school kid in Reading. There used to be a really old black and white timber restaurant/hotel opposite, and just up from Jackson's corner. Oh and the Rising Sun opposite teh Forbury gardens was one of the pubs frequented by the Windsor chapter of the Angels back then.

Not been in town for 20+ years - only to the Madjeski for a few Reading FC games.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices