Skip to content

General Beginner - Naked Bikes... Whats best? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Beginner - Naked Bikes... Whats best?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Demunn

Feb 13

Demunn says:

Beginner - Naked Bikes... Whats best?

Hi Guys... new to here so hopefully I'm posting in the right place for some advice. 

Background: Im 27 years old, live and work in London so use my bike for commuting through traffic each day. I have been riding a Yamaha Xmax 125 for the last two years and just passed my full test so looking to upgrade to a proper machine. 

Also when I was 18 I rode a Honda NSR 125 for two years so have some experience on geared bikes. 

I dont want a sports bike as I dont think its worth it in London, and I would probably kill myself... but I do want something exciting, reliable, but also practical. 

I really like the Naked style bikes... below is a list of the ones that I am looking at and I was wondering if anyone could give any pointers / pro's / cons as to which I should be looking at or any that I should instantly cross of the list. 

Kawazaki ER6N (2013)
Triumph Street Triple R (2013)
Honda CBF600 Hornet (2013)
Ducati Monster 696 (2013)

as well as the above im also open to the following, but was worried about these being a bit big for a beginner bike, so let me know your thoughts on these too. 

Kawazaki Z800 (2013)
Yamaha Fz8
CBR 600F (2013)
VFR 800 (2013)

as you can see I am confused and have literally listed most bikes, just don't want to make the wrong call and regret it. 

Any help and support would be much appreciated guys. 

Cheers

Dave

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 February 2013 20:42)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

new bike

hi demunn, all the bikes you have listed are all brand new , you state you have limited use of a geared bike , so my suggestion would be an older bike , get some mileage/experiance then go for summat newer .

Reply to this Topic
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

I think as for being too big

it depends on your confidence. Also a 2013 bike your insurance maybe quite high fully comp and if you drop it your gonna be guttered. I got a old 98 hornet its quick enough, i have learnt alot from it including how to maintain it myself and although its my pride and joy if i did drop it, it wouldnt be the end of the world as its 15 yrs old now. Ill probably get most of my money back on it when i sell it too. I havent dropped my bike but on several occasions i nearly have when i first was gtting used to it so i have been lucky. i only paid 125 quid thirdparty fire and theft after 1 year past my test too.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Hi.... and with the utmost respect....

Firstly... Get the fuck out of london cuz it is a shit hole''''' Secondly,,,,,buy an Aprilia Tuono RSV4 and give it some. Here in the country we ride Busa;s and Gixer thou's.

Reply to this Topic
sprag

Aug 02

sprag says:

Get yourself a second hand Bonneville

either the 790cc model with carbs or the newer/bigger 860 one with fuel injection and slap on a pair of loud pipes to let the dozy tin can drivers hear you coming. :winkie: Nice simple bikes that are prolly less likely to get nicked and they look better than all that jap scrap.

Reply to this Topic
bobsnicholson

Aug 02

if you must have new

I recon the new Honda 500 twins due out very soon might be worth a look.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

street triple R...

or Z800......but both will cripple you on insurance for London.

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

My Street Triple

is easy to ride in heavy traffic, but buy an older bike and don't bother with paying extra for the R unless you're going to get out of town enough to play properly.

Reply to this Topic
DOLOMITE73

May 12

DOLOMITE73 says:

Gladius?

If I was buying in that category I'd be taking a serious look at the Suzuki Gladius.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Suzuki/Suzuki-Gladius-2009-current/

Looks mint in the blue and white. Plenty of nice look examples at £3.5k.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Part of it

is how much you have to spend. Also, your height / weight is a factor; if you're on the short side, a tall (or, indeed, wide) bike may be hard work; conversely if you're tall, some bikes may feel cramped and uncomfortable.

As already stated, insurance, esp in London, is likely to bite quite hard - investment in good security should be as much a consideration as the bike itself.

Suzuki's Bandit 600/650 and SV650 are solid, popular choices. The older FZS / Fazer 600 with the ex-Thundercat motor still has an enthusiastic following (and viewed by many as a nicer bike to ride than the later R6-powered FZ6 that succeeded it).

Happy shopping.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Brand New

Obviously depends on your budget, your size and what you want out of a bike. If you want brand new but on a budget the ER6n is good commuter, quick enough to lose your license and cheap to run. At less than £6k you don't get much in the way of bells and whistles but if you want to go for a brand new bike (like I did) then it's a great starting point. Others may argue that for not a lot more you can have a bike that will grow with you, like the Triumph Street Triple. Enough machine to please pretty much anyone but confidence inspiring enough for a newbie. I'd have loved one but it was more expensive and the finance options weren't as good and I was afraid as I ride all year I'd ruin the Triumph - wasn't so fussed about getting the ER6 dirty. All new bikes are good so it's more about personal choice than anything, get yourself to some dealers and see if they'll let you test ride some machines!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices