You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Solid white line

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Solid white line

I sometimes filter with a solid white line to my right.

On occasion drivers will intentionally pull out in front of me and if I can't stop in time I will have to swerve over the white line or hit them.

Is this permissible?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 February 2013 23:40)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

No, not at all,

if you're seen by the police on the wrong side of the line you stand to be prosecuted, if you have an accident when on the wrong side your insurance company will take a dim view and may refuse to pay out , or reduce the payout. 

Basically you need to be sure you can safely pass without crossing the line, and you need to be sure you can stop or slow down if somebody moves over on you either accidentally or on purpose. If in doubt stay back and protect yourself :smile

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

solid line

As smoto5 says,solid white lines are to seperate traffic in both directions,if the car test was same as the H.G.V. test then car drivers would look in both mirrors before adjusting their positions in the road.

Remember Rotop there`s only one loser if out happens,that`s you/me/us.  

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Confused?

The issue is hazard avoidance while filtering which results in crossing a white line. not crossing a solid white line.

Seriously guys I know what a solid white line is for - If you don't know then dont reply.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

I think it's more like

take your chance, get caught pay the price (you're in the wrong), if not then happy days.

Hazard?.....that could be you.:shock:

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Rotop

If you place yourself in a position which is likely to place you in a hazardous position and this involves you breaking the rules regarding a white line and the crossing thereof then you have no excuse. Because a vehicle swerves to hinder your progress and forces you across the white line is not permissible but try proving that is what happened.

As has been said stay back until it is safe to pass, this includes not placing yourself or other road users in a hazardous position. 

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Confused

I`m confused as well,what are talking about?

A solid white line nearest to you or a broken white line nearest to you with a solid white line for oncoming vehicles? 

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

lines

Ohh found this:

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid.This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

liney line line lines

SO as long as the vehicle I am passing is stationary at the time, it's aright.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Filtering

It sounds like overtaking and not fitering,

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?topic-id=357452

been on before.

Reply to this Topic
Jim JIm

Aug 02

Jim JIm says:

Solid White Line

Hi Rotop

If in the process of filtering past traffic you are forced across the solid white line by some idiot that has either moved across on purpose or has not bothered checking their mirror then so be it.

If you intend riding for the next forty years or so and have not intention of either bending or breaking the rules then you wont stay on two wheels for very long.

If you do cross the solid white and are seen by the "Old Bill" and they dont believe your story then at least you will still be able to walk to the Court to plead your case. As opposed to being driven past in the back of a black hearse.

I agree that the rules and regulation on British roads are there mainly for our protection and being on the wrong side of a solid line is not a good idea, but if the action warrants it then do it.

Life is for living and rules are for breaking.

Regards

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices