Skip to content

General Been thinking a lot.... General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Been thinking a lot....

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

CB13

Apr 10

CB13 says:

Been thinking a lot....

lately(shite weather means I can't go out on the bike or go fishing)and got to wondering why motorcycle and car service intervals are now so many miles OR months.Until fairly recently it was just a certain amount of miles.I cannot figure out why a time limit has come into it.Vehicles now have electronic fuel injection that doesn't go out of balance like carbs used to,electronic ignition that either works or you need a new unit and oils are so much better now and last for many thousands of miles(my Tiguan only needs a service/oil change every 25-30,000miles yet my Fiesta is every 12,500miles/12months).My Street TriplyR is every 6,000miles/12months.It's due a service because of the time factor despite only having done 4,500miles.Next year it's due a hugely expensive 12,000mile/24month service and I will probably only have 8.5-9,000miles on it.So why has the service criteria changed?Is it just a way for the dealers to make more money?Anyone know?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 February 2013 12:24)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

higher revving

engines, no lead in fuel, lean burn ?

Reply to this Topic
CB13

Apr 10

CB13 says:

Lean burn ...

unleaded engines have been around for a while,certainly before this miles or months service nonsense.My STR needs the valve clearances checking every 12,000miles I imagine 'cause things wear.Fair enough,so why do they have to be checked at 24months even if the bike has done no-where near that mileage?

Reply to this Topic
importrider

Nov 04

importrider says:

cb13

higher revving engines require more servicing to keep them in good shape.

modern engines although very reliable are a highly stressed bit if kit (most engines 600cc + can be taken straight from crate to track) there fore regular servicing is called for

for excample a mitsubishi evo gets serviced aroung the 4 thousand mile mark not a major service but very expensive.:upset:

as for is the dealers way to make more money,it's not the dealer that sets the service schedule its the manufacturer .

im sure if it was the dealer it would be set every 1 thousand miles.

Reply to this Topic
CB13

Apr 10

CB13 says:

I get the miles...

interval it always used to be Xnumber of miles.It's the months thing I don't get.

Reply to this Topic
importrider

Nov 04

importrider says:

months

not sure maybe its so you dont forget and or the bike has always got good oil / filter plugs ect.

i know a man who might know better, will post back:lol:

happy thinking

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

its a good question

With Ducati's is was always a case of monthly or mileage due to the Rubber cam belts, which would corrode even if you didn't use the bike!

So you'd think if you didn't have any rubber parts then mileage would be ok! i personally have changed the oil every year regardless of bike or mileage, but would leave the major services until the mileage dictated! tis the plan with the daytona anyway!

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

oil

most new car diesel engines have what is called a DPF in the exhaust that in order to 'regenerate' needs extra fuel added so it gets up to temperature,which in turn dilutes the oil meaning oil changes are more frequent. blame euro 5 emission laws for this:mad:

Reply to this Topic
CB13

Apr 10

CB13 says:

DPF..

only needs to regenerate if it gets clogged through too much town driving and short journeys.My tiguan and Fiesta have one and have massively different service intervals.So it aint that.My bike doesn't have one.Still no wiser as to why services are due by time lapsed.

Reply to this Topic
dave_c

Aug 06

dave_c says:

Stevie

if it was the dealer it would be set every 1 thousand miles.

I like your honesty! :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
importrider

Nov 04

importrider says:

dave

:wink: hehe, honest as the winters long.

pass it on

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices