Skip to content

General Salami for tea tonight ? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Salami for tea tonight ?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

vulcanrider

Aug 05

vulcanrider says:

Salami for tea tonight ?

did anyone have Italian salami as part of their evening meal ? :lol::lol::lol:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/294020/Now-there-s-donkey-meat-in-UK-salami/Now-there-s-donkey-meat-in-UK-salamiNow-there-s-donkey-meat-in-UK-salami 

We'll never know what we've put down our gullets :lol::lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 February 2013 19:22)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

absolutely agree

dave.

which is one of the reasons for superbugs. . .antibiotic resistance due to people unwittingly eating them in their food, particularly chicken, and to a lesser degree pig products.

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

I don't mind what meat I eat

but  I do expect to be told the truth and then I can choose what I buy.

Coming rom a farming family I am wondering why we have to provide complete traceability for all our animals, weather they go into the food chain or not. If we treat with antibiotics we have to list what is given, the lot number of the medication, which animal was treated (double eartags, so there's no mistake which animal was treated) the date of the start and finish  o treatment and how long the animal must be kept after treatment, to make sure nothing goes to slaughter before the approved withdrawal period. I could go on and on.....

So I get a bit fed up hearing about all this. What is the point of all this traceability? It obviously means nothing so why must British farmers comply when it's apparantly so easy to fob us off with any old meat in the shops.  A level playing field would be nice.

Sorry for such a rant. It just pisses me of when we jump through hoops to comply and it turns out to be so pointless.

And it keeps snowing, so I didn't get to ride my bike today :mad:

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

I've worked in farming myself for a while,

and as Bee says, there's a lot of paperwork required to be filled in and recorded by British farmers these days, in the name of traceability, unfortunately livestock, slaughtered/butchered animals and all other food products are travelling considerable and not entirely neccessary mileages, which does kind of make the records useful. The fact is that some areas of the EU and outside of it only pay lip service to the legislation (no good making regulations if not everybody complies and not everybody enforces them eh?)

You would be well advised to avoid Dutch and Danish pork and bacon products if you care about animal welfare for instance, it doesn't reach the same standards that British farms apply. 
Cost is a big part of the problem of course, while we all want cheaper food, big and small food companies are naturally looking to maximise profit, so inevitably means of reducing costs were found, some not very appealing processes were pushed through and some of the stuff we eat, although cheap, maybe isn't actually even worth that price compared to more traditional produce.
We say it wouldn't be so bad if we knew what was in it, but a fair proportion of the population doesn't want to find out, has no interest beyond "is it cheap, and does it fill me up and does it taste ok?" (and there our palates have been dulled by poor quality, adulterated with flavourings)
I don't profess to know the answer, there has to be some sense in making use of local produce, whether from independent shops in your area or farmers markets and conventional markets, as much as you can/whenever time and finances allow.
By the way, Linda McCartney veggie products were found to have meat in a few years back, after all they're produced in big factories too.

Reply to this Topic
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

Or you could always

become really smug like me and become a veggie :wink:Alternatively buy less processed food and like beelady says, support your local farmer, maybe mince your own meat cuts? Smoto, aye the linda mccartney thing was years ago. All her stuff is now processed in a meat free factory.

Reply to this Topic
hawk750

Apr 09

hawk750 says:

Don't bend over

When you shop in Tesco, this is how Tesco are testing if you've eaten horsemeat 

Reply to this Topic
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

Wow

Just when you think you have seen it all!:unsure: I get called weird for sniffing the fabric conditioner before i buy. Thats a definate try before you buy no no :wink:

Reply to this Topic
vulcanrider

Aug 05

vulcanrider says:

We all laugh at it

but there is a serious side, as other posters have said there's no tracability for this meat and who knows why the horses were slaughtered and what diseases they had. It's thought that due to an EU law in Romania banning the use of horse drawn transport on the roads a lot of the farmers sold their horses to meat traders. The fault maybe lays with food producers failing to do their checks and seeing an opportunity for better profits and not being too bothered.

A ban on EU meat into the UK is being called for and I support that, Eastern European countries aren't up to speed on food laws or not bothered and while we can see lots of jokes in the subject  the facts are that we don't know what vetinary drugs have been used on horses the contols on beef production in the UK maybe aren't applied to horse meat, and as has been said a lot of EU countries only pay lip service to safety on food production. We see that on Spanish fish counters some fish that haven't reached maturity and should not have been pulled out of the water, bi catch maybe but finger nail sized octopus ? I'm also now dubious about the fish from the many fish farms on the coast here, at least 4 within a few miles of us how many antibiotics are they fed ?

Germany and France refused to accept British beef for 2 years AFTER the BSE scandal had been dealt with so what goes round comes round perhaps ? Europe needs to clean house on food production and the EU Police should perhaps not bother too much with football and concentrate on criminal activity in the EU food industry that can damage health not some feckers wallet. Anyway I'm late rising today got things to do firstly a shower, groom my tail and pick out my hooves :laugh: so time to go --- I'm off !

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

well for what it's

worth, I don't trust any processed food so don't buy it.

Don't really eat red meat but we eat a lot of chicken and fish.

Where I possibly can I buy from local producers and if I can't get that I order online from a website that supports the small farmer.  You my pay a little more but it's well worth it IMO

I know I can't be 100 % certain but as much as I can I will do.

I'm one of those smug gits who make everything from the raw ingredients and the only processed food I buy and refuse to make is Tesco's mash spuds.  By the time you have seasoned it  and added cream and butter it's good enough for me (life really is too short to stuff a mushroom)

Reply to this Topic
vulcanrider

Aug 05

vulcanrider says:

Processed food

nope ! we don't do it though Nina has had lasagne from Lidl I can't stand lasagne wherever it comes from, bad memories of RAF mess food when it was all that they had left, swimming in grease :upset: 

Somewhere along the line someone or some company is culpable of misleading or failing to do what they were supposed to do and it's increasingly looking like the company in France. Germany is quiet on this though ? Perhaps the UK should spend two years refusing to import meat products from France ? it might boost the home meat market. Nina does a nice Chorizo and butterbean soup or should that be donkey/horse/camel/kangaroo and butterbean soup? who knows :blink:

There's the option of going veggie but who can say what gets thrown onto fields as 'manure' I don't know if they still do it but in the 70's when we lived in Germany they used to use human waste on the fields, christ I remember driving to Rheindahlen from Laarbruch past a field where the stuff was being spread, all my kids, me and the 1st wife retching our guts up at the smell :wacko:

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Meet my dog

Trenbolone, he'll only eat Romanian meat products, bless him.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle