Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi praises ‘perfect’ Jorge Lorenzo MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi praises ‘perfect’ Jorge Lorenzo

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi praises ‘perfect’ Jorge Lorenzo

Valentino Rossi has paid a glowing tribute to reigning MotoGP world champion and 2013 factory Yamaha teammate Jorge Lorenzo after being reunited with the Spaniard for the start of winter testing in Sepang last week. Rossi said Lorenzo was now the most complete rider on the MotoGP grid and an even bigger threat on a factory YZR-M1 than he was when...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 February 2013 12:39)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Que?

What the fk are you mumbling on about doohanfan?

You need someone to have a look Pal.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

mumbling on

As you know perfectly well wosi, I don't believe you can equate the difference between stoner and dovi on a honda with their putative difference on a ducati, on which bike by all accounts including valentino's stoner did something unusual. By most arithmetic 3 or 4 wins are also better than none.

Stoner might well not have done much on this current bike though, which like Bob Cunis the former NZ medium pace bowler is neither one thing nor the other.  I acknowledge if ducati had stuck with what suited stoner in 2010 the bike would likely have continued not to suit anyone else, but a bike which suited no-one including him was the actual result.

Reply to this Topic
DogBert

Jan 13

DogBert says:

Not just Dovi, doofan

What about Hayden? He was often 3 or 4 tenths back of Casey, and on occasion qualified, and finished in front of him during the 2010 season.

Taking that into account, and the Ducati test times, you have to concede the chances of Stoner on this current Ducati being close to the front are slim.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Hayden.

OK..I get what you're saying now, although I'm sure you can't be serious about Casey being 1-2 secs faster than other riders on the Ducati?

If this is the case..surely a look at how much faster he was than Hayden in 2010 is relevant?

Same rough calculation on the difference in fast laps over the season has Stoner around 0.48 sec faster on average..call it half a second, a tenth more than Dovi.

Not much difference there..possibly because Dovi IS in actual fact genuinely a tenth faster than Hayden?

Take the half second off Haydens Sepang time and Stoner is still in 8th behind Bautista over 1.5 secs off the fastest time.

Sepang 1 last year Rossi was 5th 1.2 sec off Stoners fastest time..which btw was 0.5 sec faster than Pedrosa this year.

Track conditions may have been slightly faster 2012 but the 2013 bikes are probably quicker too..However, it can't hide the fact that an improved Ducati - according to Hayden, even with Stoner on board - would have been well over a second off the pace this year..Hypothetically speaking of course.

Fans who think otherwise and maintain he would be up the front and fighting for a title, are completely deluded..and are actually just fanboys.

Reply to this Topic
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

nostro

As much as i hate to say this, i agree jlo didnt ride just for points. He rode conservatively...as in he was satisfied to finish second rather than fight and maybe crash battling for first. He would assess the situation and if there was a chance for a win, he would try, but he wouldnt try too hard to create a chance. That is just smar. Why would anyone risk crashing for the entertainment of the fans when finishing second would ensure the worl title. No one will know though because after misano jorge didnt have to win anymore races to win title. If misano hadnt happened who knows how hard they would have battled. Dani had to take risks which jorge didnt. Thats the reality. IMHO jorge looked concerned before misano, and played it smart after. When riding at 95% gets you the title, why increase the risk? Winning the title is the ultimate goal not gaining the praise of the armchair expert.

Reply to this Topic
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

true test for jorge

Of course rossi is going to praise jorge...rossi wants to make sure that the world knows jorge is the favorite. Jorge has never been in this position before...being number 1 with a fast teamate as number 2. Its harder to be the favorite as you are expected to win. IE no glory for win and shame for any loss. As number 2 rossi has less pressure. No one expects him to win so if he losses its normal...if he wins its gravy. This will be a good test for jorge. If he can handle the pressure of having a fast teamate, then he will be a complete rider, as that is the only thing he has not accomplished. On that note....Dani world champ, rossi 2nd, jorge 3rd...i dont think he will handle rossi this year...dani will handle marquez though

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

stoner vs hayden

Stoner in the races he rode in 2009  often had a fastest lap more than a second faster than hayden.  Nicky got it down to just below a second for a few races before stoner's absence , and was close at PI on stoner's return but still mostly near a second off him elsewhere, although closer than I remembered in qualifying  for the last race where stoner had the DNS.
 I don't think either of us need to look up melandri's times in comparison to stoner's in 2008.

Sure nicky was closer to stoner in 2010, on a bike not developed by or for stoner, but I have never claimed that bike was championship capable for anyone.

My points in the post to which you replied were not what you replied to, some might say not atypically for you.

The first was that when ducati were backing stoner in 2008 and 2009 the bike didn't suit others and he was very significantly faster than his team-mates. It is my personal belief that Stoner's way was the only way for those bikes.

My second point in reply to an argument of yours was that 4 wins in 2009 and 3 wins in 2010, downward trend or not,  were better than no wins subsequently, which does not necessarily relate to how much faster stoner was than hayden in 2010.

I understood why ducati decided to go the way they did in 2010 (a decision made in 2009 obviously before stoner's success or lack thereof in 2010 was known), and so I think did stoner, but the fact is that it didn't work, and even valentino couldn't do anything within the 2 years he was there going in a different direction. I don't dispute that ducati may well need to change something as major as the engine configuration, or even that it may be impossible for them to be competitive with honda and yamaha given the current technical rules/level of technology. Going back to the old design is also probably not on given both the engine number  limitation and current paucity of stoners.  

Reply to this Topic
R6nutter6

Jan 04

R6nutter6 says:

Rossi haterz showing the love again. lol,

I can't wait to see the Rossi/Stoner battles again this year............... oh wait, shit I can't, he quit and went to V8's

Never mind, Dovi is now on Rossi's old bike and will soon be challenging for wins because Rossi never made an effort.........

Reply to this Topic
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

lets be realistic lads

Rossi will be competitive this year against jorge, dani, and marquez. Crutchlow , Bautista, bradl, Dovi(and the rest of the ducatis) will not be battling with rossi, but rather battling to see who can finish first behind him. Rossi wont dominate anymore but he can fight....and you never know. His legacy lives on though...he invented a riding style that EVERYONE( including STONER) copied. The leg-out-while-braking made its first official appearance at jerez 05....now everyone does it...rossi himself said a couple of years ago( jokingly of course) that he would like royalties everytime someone uses that technique. Roberts/sheene are credited with the knee down technique, but only rossi started the leg out under braking trick

Reply to this Topic
stompmyduke

Mar 08

stompmyduke says:

The Dog's

Don't worry, Rossi will be after wins this year. Take no notice of what the old fox says, he still thinks he's the dog's. I'm glad to hear that someone thinks Dovi can win on the mafiosi special - he did after all come, err, 12th in tests. Let's face it, no-one except a good dirt-tracker (like Stoner) can win on Ducati's pogo stick.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices