Skip to content

Ask an Expert FZR600 power surge. Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > FZR600 power surge.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

kirkyboy95

Feb 13

kirkyboy95 says:

FZR600 power surge.

Can anyone help...

I HAVE A  1989 YAMAHA FZR 600 WHICH IS IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER FOR ITS AGE EXCEPT FOR THIS ONE PROBLEM......

WHEN THE BIKE IS IN NEUTRAL AND I REV IT UPTO 2000RPM IT SURGES UP TO   3000 RPM BY ITSELF. IF I TRY TO DROP THE REVS FROM THE LEVEL OF 3000RPM IT DROPS BY ITSELF STRAIGHT BACK TO 2000RPM.

WHEN I AM RIDING THE BIKE USING THIS REV RANGE THE BIKE ACTS LIKE IT IS RUNNING ON "KANGAROO PETROL" .

VARIOUS THINGS RECOMMENDED TO ME TO TRY HAVE BEEN CARBS CLEANED AND BALANCE AND  NEW FUEL FILTER BUT NO CHANGE HAS RESULTED FROM THIS.

HAS ANYONE ANY IDEAS OR HAD THIS TYPE OF PROBLEM ???  LOOKING FOWARD TO ANY HELP ANYONE CAN OFFER....  THANKS  :wacko:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 February 2013 20:41)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

surge

hi pal i had a Hornet that did the same turned out to be the throttle position sensor .dont know if yours is the same but maybe worth a look.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

power surge

I don`t think your bike has a throttle position sensor:unsure: or a diaphragm fuel tap :unsure:.

Up to 3,000 rpm it`s mainly the pilot jets used.

More info;

have you any fuel additive in the fuel now?

Have you ever reduced the tickover speed (screw)

Can you blip the throttle without any hesitation (engine hot)?

Is your throttle cable free and the butterflies shaft?  

Did all your carb slides lift and return slowly using a light finger pressure?

I can`t see an ignition timing raising the engine speed from 2,000 rpm to 3,000rpm.

kcmc and a few others on here may know more. 

Reply to this Topic
kirkyboy95

Feb 13

kirkyboy95 says:

FZR600

Hi,I dont have throttle position sensor on that model. Thanks.

Reply to this Topic
kirkyboy95

Feb 13

kirkyboy95 says:

FZR600 POWER SURGE.

No fuel additives.

I have moved the tickover screw.

cables and butterfies are fine.

carb slides move freely.

When i blip the throttle(hot) its a bit flat.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Is there

a pattern (does it do it from cold, from hot?).
Has the bike stood for any length of time?
What mileage is on it, and when was it last serviced?
Has it had recent work that may have disturbed something?

Bear in mind that at 24 years old, age related faults can cause havoc - pipes and seals may well be perished.

For the cost of it, a new air filter is probably a good idea if not already done.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Yamaha FZR 600 Genesis 1989

Hi Kirbyboy95

This sounds like worn carb slide needles and emulsion tubes and jets or air leaks(probably at the rubber carb inlets and or choke jets and the seals,also possible perforated carb slide diaphragms).Good Luck 

KCMC:tongue: 

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

I

have to go with KCMC' suggestion on this one as you don't mention any misfiring evident.

Reply to this Topic
kirkyboy95

Feb 13

kirkyboy95 says:

FZR600 power surge

Thanks for all the replies,

I had heard about the  emulsion tubes and needles could be the problem but as a novice mechanic I was unsure about this route but to here it from KCMC also makes me feel that is probably the right direction to go with this 1. I'll start with checking all the carb rubbers for signs of perishing then take it from there.

Many thanks, kirkyboy95  :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

Carb problems

The 3Hs are well known for carburation problems and if they aren’t sorted any  balancing you do will probably make it worse because you are setting it to an incorrect vacuum. An easy one to check is whether the inlet rubbers are cracking and allowing air to leak into the inlet tracts which is leaning out the mixture. Get the bike warmed up and running on tickover, then get a can of EasyStart and spray a little around each carb intake rubber and air filter junction in turn - don't use too much or you could get more flames than you bargained for. If the revs rise on any particular cylinder that'll tell you that EasyStart is being sucked in there when it should be airtight.

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

part 2

Once it’s got more than 10,000 miles on the clock this model is also known for wear to the orifice that the needle jet moves in as part of the emulsion tube assembly. It goes egg-shaped and allows too much fuel to rise up into the bore of the carb and pretty much drown out the engine's power and cause sloppy rich, soggy running.

Factorypro.com in California, do kits, and because they are nickel-plated they don’t wear the brass emulsion tube.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices