Skip to content

Discuss This Aspar open to Suzuki talks for 2014 MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Aspar open to Suzuki talks for 2014

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Aspar open to Suzuki talks for 2014

The Spanish-based Aspar squad has said it would welcome the opportunity to speak to Suzuki about the prospect of running the Japanese factory’s new 1000cc MotoGP project in 2014. Suzuki plans to return to MotoGP next year after a two-year absence with a two-rider factory effort, but its return its not without stipulations from Dorna. Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta has made it...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 February 2013 10:07)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
grayzx7r

Aug 02

grayzx7r says:

Great Idea but---------

Make sure you get a very very large non-returnable deposit before you allow them even garage space.

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

de puniet

can develop what exactly? he has won absolute zip in my book, why not use a young gun who can actually fight and not just crash all the time, he should be out the series imo.

Reply to this Topic
diceman23

Nov 09

diceman23 says:

welcome back but......

The suzuki come back has been much publicised almost since before their departure. What i'm interested in is what other factory teams are on the horizon given dorna seems to have set themselves the target of attracting more factories by 2014? I've always assumed that the ART machines were a way for Apprilia to gather data and test for a factory prototype from within the series. Could Aspar be in the enviable position of having to choose between a Suzuki or ART prototype next year? Surely they would be first choice as partners for either manufacturer? Any word on the other manufacturers conspicuous by their absence? Are BMW eyeing up Bradl as part of a german gp effort now audi are in the game? Have kawasaki got any plans to return given their recent form in WSBK? How about KTM they've got brilliant representation in the junior classes, don't they want to come play with the bigboys? With redbull sponsorship maybe? seriously I want to know. Can somebody go do some journalism instead of recycling press releases? Pretty please?

Reply to this Topic
MandyRamola

Sep 12

MandyRamola says:

A good move

I think all this talk bodes well for all parties if it comes off. Uncle Carmelo has taken the right stance towards both not enabling Suzuki and supporting the teams that toughed it out. For Aspar to suddenly get full factory access is a fair reward for their efforts and if it pans out like it could then the championship will have gained some much needed weight.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

MCN FRR comp.

MCNFRR-RP International (Motor Cycle News Fantasy Road Race - Regular Posters International) is now open for business.

PIN NO: 10151

Pick your team and test your skill against other forum users for the coming season.

Use your normal tag as a team name and put your country afterwards ie: wosihound (ENG). we'll hopefully get enough interest to set up an International game, where the top 3 points scorers from each country each round will have their scores added together making National round winners.

These scores will accumulate through the season at the end of each round, to decide the MCN International Team title at the end.

Obviously there is the Individual Champ title as well.

Any questions/ideas use the message board for our private league or PM me.

Good luck.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

I doubt Suzuki intend to return for long in MotoGP

RdeP will blow their budget in next to no time. He averages near enough to 6 DNF's a year. I think Hamamatsu talked to the wrong side of the Aspar pit.

I completely concur with Mandy though.

Good point too Diceman. I've been waiting for Aprilia to build a less road bike compromised engine for their ART project. I hope they stick around 2014 and beyond in the face of HRC & YMC's plans. Aspar might well be spoilt for choice.

Reply to this Topic
moto4

Oct 12

moto4 says:

grid numbers

It is not as though grid numbers are so healthy that it seems wise to refuse an extra factory team. Are Dorna seriously suggesting that should every current team be contracted for equipment and then Suzuki, Kawasaki, BMW and KTM (+?) want to join they will be disallowed?

Reply to this Topic
diceman23

Nov 09

diceman23 says:

RDP

RDP might be a crasher but his team mate is no slouch. The Aspar team are a good team making the most of the machinery available. Assuming that suzukis final decision to come back or not will be based on competitiveness RDP is an interesting choice as a test rider. His comparison of the ART and Suzuki machines is a two way street if he believes the Suzuki has more potential than the ART expect to see Aspar using it next year. If not I'd expect to see the project mothballed. The ART machine has become a very important yardstick in motogp, perhaps because it is more akin to a production racer than CRT. I cant see any manufacturer coming into the championship unless the expect to be quicker than it, equally I'd assume Honda will pitch their production racer to be quicker than the ART but not quite as quick as a satellite prototype. Again I'd expect yamaha to pitch their production race engines to be only marginally better than the tuned aprillia. So its an odd beast the ART not really a CRT, not quite a prototype, an early example of a production GP racer? Either way its got CRT's and factories looking at it for an example. Expect to see the Aspar boys right up the chuff of the satellite Ducatis again this year.

Reply to this Topic
diceman23

Nov 09

diceman23 says:

moto4

Hate to say it but I agree with Carmelo on this. If a factory joins in partnership with an existing team there is more chance of the team surviving and grid numbers remaining stable should the factory choose to leave. If you think back to a few years ago the grid was so small you could score points in the blue ribbon class of motorcycle racing on a moped so long as there were a couple of DNF's ahead of you. The idea is this rule stops that happening. I may be wrong but I remember reading that once a factoey prove their commitment to the series say, 2 seasons? then they may be offered their own place on the grid for a factory team and that the partner team would then have a choice to continue as a partner/satellite team or revert to privateer status. If you think about it its quite clever, essentially it means every factory team must first run a satellite team meaning that when you do get a new factory effort you should expect 4 new prototypes on the grid not 2 and of course a larger more competitive more stable grid. Or at least thats the hope.

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

I think its the only way a factory team gets in is through an established team from any class. If Aprillia want to go moto gp racing why not through a team in moto 2 that can step up and get there youngsters on a factory bike just like Bradley Smith at Tech 3. It can only be good for the sport and fans, as a massive fan of moto 2 I would like to see more of the riders there given a chance in the blue ribband class. Get rid of crt bikes and have all prototype racing with more teams. Cap the costs and go bloody racing with some real entertaining races.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices