Skip to content

Discuss This Cal Crutchlow: MotoGP better with competitive Valentino Rossi MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Cal Crutchlow: MotoGP better with competitive Valentino Rossi

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Cal Crutchlow: MotoGP better with competitive Valentino Rossi

Monster Yamaha Tech 3 rider Cal Crutchlow believes the MotoGP world championship will be a greater spectacle for everybody with Valentino Rossi challenging for victories in 2013. The Italian quickly shrugged off a disastrous two-year spell with Ducati to set the third fastest time on an impressive return to Yamaha's factory squad in Malaysia last week. Rossi was only just over 0.4s...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 February 2013 15:11)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

bultoboy

Given the current line of argument there should have been universal joy when a manufacturer other than honda or yamaha ie ducati won the championship in 2007. Perhaps I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I must have missed said outpouring of joy.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

doohanfan

Indeed - maybe the outpouring would have been more noticeable had another rider piloted the Duke to its victory....

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Flipstats

taking away technology to create a level playing field is not the way forward for the premier class which runs prototypes. it's a crazy notion!

The greatest element of technology is in the electronic wizardry. So whilst I agree it would seem to be the easiest way to cut costs, surely a control ECU is what you're advocating against, a step back by stopping a manufacturer from building their ultimate prototype.

Personally, I think electronic intervention has gone too far, the Yam electronics 'learn' the bikes behaviour over the course of a lap and act accordingly to set the bike up for each sector. Crazy. Anti-wheelie, anti-spin, anti-yaw, anti this that and the other  -  all useless for a road bike so who needs it. Get rid of it, same in WSB and get back to mechanical control. There's too much electronic intervention. Every day cars have become a nightmare of warning lights, failed sensors and limp home mode.

If the bikes lose a couple of seconds a lap so what, they are still insanely fast and with much reduced electronic control they'll have to detune the engines which should also help cut costs. Breaking lap records isn't what it's about, they need more manufacturers competing and able to do it on roughly the same level as each other. In turn this gives more competitive rides and opens up chances for other decent riders to have a shot at winning, riders who currently will never get the chance on one of only four bikes capable of winning. And maybe, just maybe, better racing.  CRT is an utter waste of time and will solve nothing, as won't over the counter RCV Hondas and M1 engines, unless of course Motogp becomes a 100% CRT formula

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Hear, hear..

Apart from the CRT bit, which you seem to misunderstand, and was all about leveraging shit against the MSMA.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

electronics

No track position aware engine mapping. No ride by wire throttle.

One of the major reasons they need/do all this is because the current formula is basically a fuel economy formula. I to some extent see the merit of that philosophically, but it does not and never will help actual racing.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

I get what they were doing with CRT Wosi, but just don't get to what end, what they're ultimate aim is.

Honda may be supplying a production RCV and Yamaha supplying M1 engines, but what will it achieve. They won't be the same spec as factory, therefore they can't compete with the factory equivalents. Even with a control ECU they won't match the factory bikes

If Dorna are pushing for all bikes to run at the same overall spec, then you effectively have a prototype series which has no prototypes or factory teams. There's little point in a factory team if they run the same spec bike as a privateer team in the next garage. In terms of factory against factory, Honda have enough resource to flood the grid with production RCV and ensure they have the best riders on them, so Honda still wins. The CRT teams that have spent a small fortune to enter Motogp may well be gone, brushed aside without a thought from Dorna, who, as long as their vision is achieved, wont give a toss.

If you retain the prototypes, albeit with technology capped, they are still going to outperform their production versions, so you still have prototype and CRT in the same race, it's still two-tier, so nothing changes.

I just can't see the game Dorna are indulging themselves in playing out to anything that will improve the number of competitive bikes on the grid from the current number of 4, or 6 if Ducati can solve their problems.

Reply to this Topic
mickrainey

Feb 13

mickrainey says:

back to the future

lets bring the two strokes back with out control tyres! things were way better! - simpler engines - better racing - cheaper bikes - more entries! four strokes ruined moto gp!

Reply to this Topic
hello4646

Oct 08

hello4646 says:

Maybe

Ducati will buy a Honda Chassis and put an M1 engine it.  Might put the smile back on Dovi'sthe GOATS face!

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

And bring back Michelin or dunlop . You can do 12,000 miles a year on a set bs race tyres(medium compound) with average wear.

Reply to this Topic
weskit

Jun 10

weskit says:

from a purely business perspective?

Ducati had their best year ever in terms of sales for 2012, and the panigale was 17% of those sales. Is there some other business perspective I haven't heard about?

The steel trellis had reached its limits in 2008, and Ducati Corse put their trust in an innovative engineer who had the balls to try something different. This is a very Italian thing to do. They then had limited resources to fully explore its potential, and were hobbled by having to use whatever tyres Bridgestone decided were best for the entire MotoGP field. Stoner's opinion, which has got to be worth something since he managed to win on the thing, was that it was a great bike but the setup window was too narrow and often a moving target.

The worst thing Ducati could do from a business perspective is abandon their philosophy and revert to the tried and true formula of the japanese. Who the hell would want to buy an aluminium spar inline 4 Ducati? Their bikes are the most engaging things i've ever ridden and it would be senseless to move away from their heritage just to perform better in prototype racing. I hope they don't.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices