Skip to content

General Do you declare modifications to your insurer? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Do you declare modifications to your insurer?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

BrandsR6

Oct 05

BrandsR6 says:

Do you declare modifications to your insurer?

4 questions regarding modifications (ie. exhaust, braided hoses, screens, crash bungs etc).....

1. If you have mods, what are they?
2. Have you declared them?
3. If yes, how much difference did it make to your premium?
4. Who are you insured with?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 February 2013 07:08)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

5. Name

6. Telephone #

7. Address

Too much information sir :blink:

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

never used to

but nearly got caught with my car as I didn't tell them it had tinted windows, started getting a bit tetchy with a no fault claim.

My bike an F3 is bog standard at the minute and apart from fitting a tail tidy it will probably stay that way, well unless yoshi are going to make a set of pipes for her (they may have already, I'll have a look)

But when I renew I will inform them of everything, even taking the rear footpegs off.  I won't let them say I didn't tell them again

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Always have

and always will.

They don't need any excuse to not pay up if and when the time comes so it is not worth the risk in the long run.

If you do not inform them and the worst does happen then they void your insurance you become liable for any costs and compensation and then you become uninsurable in the future so legal motoring of any sort becomes a very costly thing of not stating changes.

Reply to this Topic
BrandsR6

Oct 05

BrandsR6 says:

Too much information?

Feel free to answer as much or as little as you like.

Only curious to find out mow much difference modifications make to insurance and which insurers aren't too bothered and which ones massively hike your premium up.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

my feelings

are that if you offer everything up straight away they are fairly reasonable and it does depend on what mods. Putting a number on could massively hike it up for obvious reasons, putting a tail tidy on wont.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Huh....

What's Insurance?

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Cancelled policy...

...only if they can prove the undeclared mod to be a causal factor in the accident - so tuning or race cans will cause you an issue; crash bungs or better breaks won't.

Can't have it both ways though....if your top box is wrecked, expect the answer "what top box?" if you never declared it.

Reply to this Topic
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

depends

it really depends on what you call a mod, if your buying a secondhand bike how do you know entirely, also is a patent part a mod as its not original, are heated grips a mod or a tank bag , i think most bikes over 5 years old have a mod or more, but i wonder who tells there insurance companies.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

i didn't make the modifications

the dealer did, so i didn't declare them:ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
BrandsR6

Oct 05

BrandsR6 says:

Sounds like one big grey area to me

For example, if you replaced the brake hoses (as per the maintenance schedule) but with braided hoses, I guess these are a modification.  But what about if you fit rubber brake hoses which are not genuine OEM items? 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle