Skip to content

General Do you declare modifications to your insurer? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Do you declare modifications to your insurer?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

BrandsR6

Oct 05

BrandsR6 says:

Do you declare modifications to your insurer?

4 questions regarding modifications (ie. exhaust, braided hoses, screens, crash bungs etc).....

1. If you have mods, what are they?
2. Have you declared them?
3. If yes, how much difference did it make to your premium?
4. Who are you insured with?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 February 2013 07:08)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I think

the best you can do is declare everything to the insurers that you know and ask about anything else,

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

In all honesty

the only thing I would like to do on mine is put the tail tidy on and that's pretty much it, most of it is pretty much already on.

Had a quick look at cans but it only seems Arrow are thinking of doing one anyway.  She sounds ok as standard and as I want to keep my premiums no higher than 200.00 or below then it will stay that way.

My insurance company is Bennets, done full circle now, strange how you have to keep chopping and changing to keep the prices down.

The only insurance co I won't go with is Carole Nash

Reply to this Topic
BrandsR6

Oct 05

BrandsR6 says:

Just done a quick online quote

I normally pay about £110 a year fully comp, with a £200-£300 excess. 

Just did a quick quote on MCE (so not really shopped around) and listed the following mods:-

Power Commander, End can, Braided brake hoses, Crash Bungs & a Quickshifter

The quote came out at £156 with a £550 excess, so not as bad as I was expecting.  Interestingly, I removed the mods and it made no difference at all!!

AND that includes Personal Injury Cover, Breakdown Cover, Helmet/Leather Cover, Courtesy Bike and Legal Protection.  Okay, so MCE don't have the best reputation, but I will have a shop around later.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

If the insurer is happy to insure your bike with modifications the premium does not normally get a massive hike.

What they will state is that any damage caused to after market parts, or, 'modifications', will be replaced with standard parts only.

So do not think that by paying the extra premium, if your quick shifter gets damaged, they are going to replace it. They wont.

Your increase in the premium is not 'covering' your after market parts. It's just giving you peace of mind that the insurers know about them, but at the same time they say, they wont pay for them............Yes, it's another f*ckin rip off!! :blink:

Reply to this Topic
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

Good point....

....as someone said earlier, what happens if you buy the bike with say a different screen or braided lines already on it, technically YOU have not modified the bike, although it has been changed. Don't forget some people would not know if there are different parts on the bike, air filters for example, what if someone has fitted K&N's but you have not been in there so don't know about it.:blink:

Reply to this Topic
BrandsR6

Oct 05

BrandsR6 says:

Not so bothered about

the parts not being covered by the insurance (although obviously it would be nice), more concerned these days about the insurance company turning round and saying that I'm not covered in the event of a claim. Especially as the bike has a few more bits on these days than it used to.

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

Always tell them

and have never been charged a penny extra.

I wouldn't dare not own up. I just know I'll have to claim if I don't. Sods Law :upset:

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

I personally

always do - I'm not willing to give them wriggle room to get out of a payout.

Never been charged extra either, although I daresay it'll vary between insurers and their perception of those mods.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I have a

quick shifter as standard on mine, would they replace that even though I wasn't using it at the time??

Reply to this Topic
BrandsR6

Oct 05

BrandsR6 says:

Quickshifter

I guess if it's a standard factory fitment, it would be replaced along with all other parts damaged in a crash.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices