You are in... Forums > General > Pub Talk - over 18s only > vehicle for winter

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

vehicle for winter

Hio, as some of u may have seen in previous posts, i was after a range rover due to issues with my getting to work (mrs B).  If she used it then would only be max of 18 miles return a day, not every day..so I wa slooking at either a 4L or the 4.6 HSE with LPG..

But, last night, had a lift in a Jeep Cherokee 4litre straight six, everything a rangey had plus i was impresed with the lack of clutter in the front. (dontknow why it ended up in this part of the forum!)

I could buy a jeep no worries, or do I save up and get that bit extra for a P38 range rover, bearing in mind its about 250 miles one way to Wales.  At he moment, we only do it once a year, but if we had a 4x4 it would be xmas etc at my folks and going down more so they can see their grandchildren more often..mrs b knows how much fuel will be with a range rover as i have had a classic 3.5 V8 before on LPG.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (14 February 2013 09:48)

Post a message in Pub Talk - over 18s only

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

bishi

What about a shogun

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

mits

heard bad things about fuel pumps in shoguns..

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

P38 Range Rover

AVOID the v8 petrol P38s. They crack blocks and then it's NEW ENGINE time. It's a well known problem. They only ever manage 18mpg, so with the gas, it's the equivalent to doing 25-30mpg.

You'd be better off with a 2.5 turbo diesel (DSE/DHSE).

A good one is a VERY good car. A bad one will cost you thousands. Avoid coil spring conversions. It's actually cheaper to fix the air suspension problems.

They are VERY capable off road too. I used to trial mine, and often beat more capable trucks :lol:

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Are the P38s a good idea?

a good one may be alright, but I'd heard some major horror stories about interlinked systems, pneumatics? hydraulics? electrics? causing all sorts of problems, like once one thing failed it caused others to fail, or have I got that wrong? A friend of mine is big into his Rovers, LRs, RRs etc, old ones, newer ones etc. He runs a Classic RR, maybe 3.5 , maybe bigger, gas conversion (2nd kit, and he's considering taking that off) has had to do plenty of mechanical work to it, but if you got the skills and facilities B/man, wouldn't think that was a problem. Like Eatcs01 I've heard of the cracked block prob, basically the original block castings were a bit thin for the bigger engines, once the miles started clocking up, the expansion and contraction cycles were causing cracks, coolant was getting between block and liner, and liners got loose, I understand RPi have made better blocks, but that will be costly option, maybe easier than finding a sound secondhand block or engine though. 

I've not had much prob with Mitsubishi l200 pick up, 2.5 turbo diesel, a mate got good use from 2.8 Mitzi Pajero, the Toyota Landcruiser seems to have good rep, Nissan Terrano 2/Ford Maverick seems to last (Dunno about later Mazda based Mav) or what about Volvo AWD or the XC, or an Audi Quattro/Allroad etc? Or maybe a Suzuki Vitara? 

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

what do you see running

around converted to all sort of weapons platforms in Arab / African countries?...Pajeros and Landcruisers.  I had a SWB Shogun which was reliable....ditto smoto, Suzuki Vitara a good little plugger, my uncle had one running a shoot up in Scotland, and that had a hard life, i can tell you! 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

4x4

If you particularly want a Land Rover, then consider a Discovery TD5.

As said above, Suzuki Vitara (and later a Jimny) are pretty much unstoppable. Cheap too. Mrs had one to use off road, and used to embarrass many blokes who got stuck trying to follow her :lol:

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

4x4

I'm a car mechanic too, have been for donkeys years.... get the jeep at your peril... utter shite. Better off with the rr, and that's not saying much, but at least  you know your way around them.

Reply to this Topic
Valko

May 12

Valko says:

RR is a banger

from where I come we have proper winters and I will not touch RR with a barge pool, it rust like hell and reliability is awful.

Any diesel Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 will last forever.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

my suzuki

was bulletproof, and had the L200 and recently the Barbarian. Excellent pieces of kit if they are going to be worked

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

wheels

well, decided to hold off for a while, we are staying putt for time being and nothing has stopped the volvo so far with snow chains on..I geuss I'm a glutton for punishment as im a RR fan..if i see a P38 diesel in summe rthen i may selel bandit..but, having spent a few hours fettling, she is is in good condition, scottoiler now works (faulty vacuum) and welded one of the side panels up, sorted out exhaust can, (baffle bolts were stuck, all removed and sounds mucho loudness! drove a xc90, pile of crap..took the rep in my volvo v70 Ph1 tdi and he was astonished at how quick she was.(has a remap) but stil only around the 170bhp mark.went out in an sti scooby thursday,,oh my lordy lord..lol :lol:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices