Skip to content

Ask an Expert Fury engine casing. Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Fury engine casing.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Ginnelli

Mar 07

Ginnelli says:

Fury engine casing.

Please help, I,ve just got my bike out of its shed after four weeks, but the engine cases look like my wife has chucked her box of washing powder over them. I,ve washed them down to clear this off buts whats the best way of preventing this happening again. Thanks Ginnelli.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (17 February 2013 13:28)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

What bike?

Hi Ginnelli

The best way is not to allow this happen in the first place,if salt corrosion has got under the thin lacquer coating on the casings,its a slippery slop for them from now on.Your bike needs to be covered in a light coat of oil at all times and when washed off light oil of some kind reapplied.Putting your bike away for long periods of time with road salt all over it in damp conditions is asking for serious long term problems not only to the casings which will only look ugly,but more importantly the brakes and any other moving parts.And an even bigger problem is oil coolers and radiators,salt corrosion will see these off in no time at all,and cost you a small fortune to replace,so my advice would be after  thoroughly clean you must oil everything especially coolers and rads(spray oil is the way to go)cover everything barring the brake discs.Have fun:smile

KCMC:tongue:   

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Once

clean and dry, apply a good coat of ACF-50 on all metal parts making sure not to get it near the disks or callipers.

Leave the ACF-50 on till the shite wet weathers gone, then remove with a good degreaser and polish :smile 

Reply to this Topic
Ginnelli

Mar 07

Ginnelli says:

Fury engine casing

Thanks. I was really surprised as the bike ( Burgman 200 ) was washed before it was put away. There are no other marks apart from the engine casing so im going to polish them up with solvol autosol and then give them a light caoting of oil.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

furry

Sounds like you need more ventilation in the shed. Also, make sure the bike is DRY before putting it away for long periods.

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

As eatcs01

says but would add to let it cool down as well otherwise it will suffer from condensation on all surfaces in the sheds.

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

I'm

not a non mouse I'm smidget

Reply to this Topic
Ginnelli

Mar 07

Ginnelli says:

Ventillation

I think your right with the ventillation point as the bikes kept in a metal bike safe. This is well secure but there are only small vents on the front panel above the door. There are also white marks on the floor where the side stand used to touch down. ( been on main stand last 4 weeks ) plus the temp has been down as low as -7 the other morning. Also as kcmc said there doesn,t seem to be a protective layer on the aluminium part of the engine. The black engine covers are unmarked. I will get it cleaned up and coated with oil. Thanks again for the advice. Ginnelli.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices