Skip to content

Discuss This Honda open to Casey Stoner wild card deal in 2013 MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Honda open to Casey Stoner wild card deal in 2013

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Honda open to Casey Stoner wild card deal in 2013

Honda has said it would give serious consideration to offering Casey Stoner the opportunity to step out of retirement and race in at least two MotoGP rounds in 2013. There has been speculation that Stoner could ride a factory Honda RC213V machine in a bid to extend his phenomenal winning record on home soil at Phillip Island, while also taking part...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 February 2013 11:09)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CaseyIsGONE

Feb 13

CaseyIsGONE says:

paceycasey, doohanfan and bultoboy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rn68PxJ2Ik

Reply to this Topic
CaseyIsGONE

Feb 13

CaseyIsGONE says:

i can imagine thats how doohanfan spends his evening after a night of online spell checking, thats why i cant understand a word he types...

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

doohanfan

888 paid 15mil contract for a draw card like stoner they wont risk it

sponser wise he is worth 50 mil to V8,s and its feeder clubs world wide

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Who cares DF?..

..well we've got a good few here at MCN quite obviously.

The word dominated as applied to Stoners career, rather than the seasons he won, has often been used by journalist too, who should know better. The same type who use phrases such as Brought a knife to a gunfight to describe the Ducati Stoner rode, that gave him 16 wins in Two seasons while running the more friendly Bridgestones on the GP7/8.

If Stoner was good as they thought he was..he would have backed a title up, and the fact that he didn't with such a superior win tally has gotta tell you something about the way he rides..which makes ol wosi think that the real reason Casey retired was family.

His all action balls-out style was closer to the edge than anyone. I believe Casey and his wife weighed that up and understood he wouldn't be able to change his approach once the lights went out and the red mist came down.

He had some fairly big offs during his time which allied to a lot of luck, gave the appearance he bounced extremely well..up until Indy last year, which probably confirmed they had made the right decision for his/their future.

With regard to Lorenzo..I'm sure he wasn't particularly happy with Dani winning more races but, you seem to forget that Honda brought a new bike out for the Repsol riders mid-season..a bike that Stoner rejected.

To my mind, Dan's increased competitiveness dovetailed with the appearance of the new RCV. If Lorenzo had been behind and chasing, I think we would have seen a harder charging style..although whether he could have won races he seemed to settle for points in, is a matter of speculation.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

I am about argued out wosi

and getting peevish on the internet is fairly futile, apart from being against my general character in civilian life.

If stoner hadn't ridden the 2 great seasons he would have 2 less titles and 20 less race wins, but he did ride the 2 great seasons and has those titles and wins. More such seasons would have been nice, and have elevated him further in the pantheon of gp bike racing greats, but equally he didn't have them.

I have 2 genuine areas of argument with you.

The first is the bike advantage thing. If he did have a bike advantage that only he could exploit then it is a rider advantage anyway, and it is certainly logically possible that the bike was just relatively less bad in 2007. I also don't see why bike advantage has to be raised for stoner's championships and not for anyone else's including the greats such as rossi and doohan.

I strongly believe stoner had an organic illness in 2009, as it would seem do hrc, livio suppo and stoner himself, and if so attitudes to him were shameful and spiteful, and would  have been pretty much so even  if he was psychiatrically disturbed. I can tell you leaving my biases aside that making the diagnosis of a functional illness is perilous and often proves erroneous.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

We're gonna have to agree to differ DF..

I think it was plain for all to see how fast the Ducati was both in 2007 & 2008, more so in the former. The Bridgestones kept it in front round the corners. I don't buy Capirossi's lame effort 2007, is proof that it was the rider who made the only difference but, I do admit to underestimating Stoners efforts on all iterations of the D16..he is extremely talented but not without fault as a competitior, which has been impacted by his prickly personality and desire to be more universally accepted.

With regard to his absence in 2009..maybe he did have problems but I don't believe, on that occasion, he showed the heart of Champion by choosing to duck out. It's as simple as that.

Time to move on..

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

fair enough wosi

I shortened my previous post; I originally said that we had different opinions about  stoner and bike advantages in 2007 and that we will never know now.

As a last sally I could point out that we also have melandri's encounter with the 2007 bike and experience with the 2008 bike, and hayden's encounter with the 2008 bike, as well as guareschi's testimony as to stoner's riding style on the ducati being impossible to replicate, which I believe  referred to all versions of the bike.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Yes..

..and both those riders were WC's in rookie seasons on an unconventional bike set up for Stoner. Look at Hayden's improvement 2010.

I could point to the fact that 2006, Casey scored less points in total than the margin he won the title by the next year. That ain't normal without a bit of advantage..and he never got close again.

..But of course, I won't.

:tongue::biggrin::wink:

Reply to this Topic
bigbashbonanza

Mar 07

Every Champ/winner has an advantage

The rider makes the difference, granted, but the bike makes the package. Bridgestone had that in '07, but the other teams had that before hand. The French tyres that were made for the individual rider also qualify for the same comment. The higher the profile rider (!) the more effort, expense and out right performance he got. The tyres the top riders got made and delivered to the circuit over night before the race also has to be considered if people are talking about advantages. Who's to say that those riders wouldn't have been that successful if they were on a control tyre as they are now? Maybe Sete would have been the Champion that year? It's all speculation and bullshit and we can harp on and on about who is/was best, all we can go on is what we see, what we believe and what we read from those who report and not necessarily those on this forum!

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

yes wosi

our opinions differ as we have both acknowledged, and it would appear obvious will continue to do so.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices